It is currently February 24th, 2017, 11:04 am

News News of Reefs.org Forums

Site map of Reefs.org Forums » Forum : Reefs.org Forums

Discussion forums for Reefs.org and Advanced Aquarist Online Magazine

Hi tech power head

Anyone have any experience with these?
http://www.championlighting.com/e/env/0 ... itech.html
Steve
Read more : Hi tech power head | Views : 578 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General Reefkeeping Discussion

Sandbed sifters for a nano

Anyone have any good ideas for a sandbed cleaner for a 10. Most of the normal ones, cukes or conchs, would be either too big or wouldn't have the available foods due to the small tank size. I have thought about Nass snails, but they are impossible to come by at the LFS and ordering them on-line would be $40 for a pair when you figure in the shipping cost. Any other suggestions? TIA.
Read more : Sandbed sifters for a nano | Views : 336 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Reefkeeping Discussion

Cycling tank with shrimp?

I may have done something dumb but now I dont know what to think, last week I set up a new tank and tried the dead shrimp method of cycling my tank. Its a 65 gallon with a wet-dry and about 45lbs of lr,I checked today my amonia nitrite and nitrate they were 0,0 and between 5-10 nitrates. Is it posible that it cycled that quick or what? I did not think that was possible.
Read more : Cycling tank with shrimp? | Views : 571 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General Reefkeeping Discussion

eballast smoke and sizzle

Hi all,
I have a 400W eballast running the light on my tank.
This afternooon after it had been running for about 5 hours
it decided to burst and then emit smoke and black specks
all over my living room. At first I thought it was a can of
soda or aerosol which had burst since it sounded exactly
like a pressurized spray. Upon closer inspection I can see
some black sticky "foam" type material ...
Read more : eballast smoke and sizzle | Views : 448 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General Reefkeeping Discussion

ID on inch long cone snail?

I need some help getting an ID on this little guy:

http://www.ustexans.net/jmartin/images/snail2.jpg

didn't find anything in HHFaq so i thought i'd post here

jmartin at ustexans.net
motorpsycho on #reefs

TIA
Read more : ID on inch long cone snail? | Views : 636 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Coral, Rock and Sand Hitchhikers

Dang clam died!

I woke up this morning and one of my croceas was a gonner. The clean up crew was busy finishing him off.

I wonder why he died suddenly? He looked fine yesterday.

A large frogspawn did do a nose dive next to him yesterday, but it wasn't that close to him. OK, well maybe a couple of inches, but that frogspawn has always been with 4 or 5 inches of him.

A week ago I ...
Read more : Dang clam died! | Views : 647 | Replies : 6 | Forum : General Reefkeeping Discussion

Are corals typically fed by retailers?

Specifically, I have noticed that the tubastrea that I normally see for sale exhibit signs of starvation: deeply cupped, etc. I wondered if it was common practice to feed these corals while they are being held for sale. For that matter, I am wondering about supplemental feeding for photosynthetic corals or live feeding for fish such as frogfish as well.

I suspect that many of these hard, expensive or time consuming to feed animals are ...
Read more : Are corals typically fed by retailers? | Views : 1715 | Replies : 18 | Forum : The Industry Behind the Hobby

question about new deep sand bed...

hi,

i'm setting up a new tank and have a question about the dsb...

1.) i read this article about dsb
http://www.rshimek.com/reef/sediment.htm
and it says that the average sediment sizes should be 0.125 mm
but where can i buy sand like that in the san francisco bay area ?

i looked @ http://purearagonite.com/ but on there website it says that the sediment sizes is 0.18 to 1.2mm thats way bigger ??
Read more : question about new deep sand bed... | Views : 832 | Replies : 8 | Forum : General Reefkeeping Discussion

Cucumber??

Found this guy today dragging around my sand bed. I'm thinking Cucumber? This guy okay for the reef? Wouldn't mind keeping it. Might tuen into somthing nice...

About 1/4 inch, green in color, considerably thinner on one end, and appears to have a tentacle of some kind on the thinner end. Looks like he travels by inching similar to a worm.

Horrible pic sorry... Horrible camera ! Thanks for the input...

Read more : Cucumber?? | Views : 668 | Replies : 5 | Forum : Coral, Rock and Sand Hitchhikers

Modified power head power draw

Richard,

Just thought I'd add some info about modifying pumps. I'm sure you already checked out potential problems but I didn't see any comments in the article.

Pumps and motors are designed as a unit with the motor chosen such that its power output matches the power requirements of the pump to which it's coupled. The modification you write about is essentially changing out a pump but still using the same motor. There is a ...
Read more : Modified power head power draw | Views : 3795 | Replies : 9 | Forum : Advanced Aquarist's Product Review Discussion

Login

Statistics

Total posts 2103783 • Total topics 154821 • Total members 34784