It is currently March 1st, 2015, 6:58 am

News News of Reefs.org Forums

Site map of Reefs.org Forums » Forum : Reefs.org Forums

Discussion forums for Reefs.org and Advanced Aquarist Online Magazine

Button coral ID; friend/foe - Help!

I have noticed a new type of (button?) coral that appears to be quick growth and not friendly (I think). It looks simular to a green button, tends to be seen in single units but spread out. The arms are short to the side but a 2nd row of arms are upward. It is NOT aiptasia. It is greenish brown (solid, not translucent), single oral opening in the center. The larger ones have pale rings ...
Read more : Button coral ID; friend/foe - Help! | Views : 496 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Coral, Rock and Sand Hitchhikers

thin whitish strings

I have a growing population of thin white strings on my 3 1/2 month old reef. About 1 to 2 inches long, they seem to contract and expand lengthwise. They might show inchworm-like movement, or it might be the current.
Read more : thin whitish strings | Views : 400 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Coral, Rock and Sand Hitchhikers

What could this be?

Hi all I have a lot of these critters not sure what species they are about 1 cm oval shaped. They have a white outer shell that has brown specks on them. The shell is not hard. These look alot like those worms you could find under wood. They can curl up. I see them on the glass and all on my rock. They don't seem to hurt anything. Just want to know what they ...
Read more : What could this be? | Views : 465 | Replies : 1 | Forum : Coral, Rock and Sand Hitchhikers

little shrimp?

i just added my first shrimp to my tank and two days later i found hundreds of tiny shrimp-like critters in my sump they are too small to photograph they look jist like my peppermint shrimp but clear could it possibly be baby shrimp i thought these things layed eggs?
Read more : little shrimp? | Views : 405 | Replies : 0 | Forum : Coral, Rock and Sand Hitchhikers

aiptasia ??

I am setting up a new tank and have been waiting about three weeks for the ammonia to drop from 2 to 0 anyway this morning I noticed this stuff growing in a couple of places

I looked at pictures but could not ID it as anything.

Also this cycle is taking what seems like forever to complete and I was wondering should I leave my lights off and my skimmer off or run the ...
Read more : aiptasia ?? | Views : 1358 | Replies : 10 | Forum : Coral, Rock and Sand Hitchhikers

id nudibranch and crab?

I recently found these animals in my tank. The crab I am not worried about, as I have at least 4 and they *seem* harmless. The nudibranch, however, is a bit of a concern. I have not seen it eating anything, bit given it's size, it does concern me. Any thoughts?

http://www.cybereefguru.com/120/unident.html

The crab is still in the tank, but I captured the nubibranch last night and have it in a holding tub until I ...
Read more : id nudibranch and crab? | Views : 673 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Coral, Rock and Sand Hitchhikers

This appeared in my tank overnight --any ideas?

Hi all,

I found this cottony ball in my tank this morning -- it is firmly attached to the sand -- the anchor looks almost like a bristle worm. I'd appreciate any help possible.
It's only about an inch in diameter!
I'm going to try to post a picture -- we'll see

Regards,
Don

didn't work -- I try again shortly

</p>
Read more : This appeared in my tank overnight --any ideas? | Views : 652 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Coral, Rock and Sand Hitchhikers

Much Better Pic of my Shrimp/Crab Please Help

I have been trying to take a picture of this tiny little guy he just sits there with his claws hanging outside of this very small hole. I have been feeding it brine shrimp and 1 brine shrimp is as large as the whole he sits in. All he eats is one brine shrimp as well. It has two long antenna that kinda looks like a long skinny paddle with a whole bunch of ladder ...
Read more : Much Better Pic of my Shrimp/Crab Please Help | Views : 745 | Replies : 4 | Forum : Coral, Rock and Sand Hitchhikers

Worm ID?

Hi,

I'm trying to identify a worm that lives in one of the liverocks in my tank. It is over an inch long (does not come out all the way from the hole, so who knows how long it is), it looks a little like a bristleworm, without the bristles. It seems to be dark in color, but I can only view it at night with my infrared camera. At one end, which seems to ...
Read more : Worm ID? | Views : 722 | Replies : 3 | Forum : Coral, Rock and Sand Hitchhikers

Yellow "sponge" on coral rock

I purchased a coral a few weeks ago and notice that on the rock to which it is attached has some areas that are coated with a bright yellow "sponge" type of material. I did not notice it at first because the coral was inflated and covering this material. It is about 1/8 to 1/4 inch in thickness. It has not changed in size or appearance. The picture is not real sharp because I used ...
Read more : Yellow "sponge" on coral rock | Views : 584 | Replies : 2 | Forum : Coral, Rock and Sand Hitchhikers

Login

Statistics

Total posts 2076924 • Total topics 152823 • Total members 34785