It is currently April 28th, 2017, 5:44 pm

News News of Reefs.org Forums

Site map of Reefs.org Forums » Forum : Reefs.org Forums

Discussion forums for Reefs.org and Advanced Aquarist Online Magazine

Looking for Southdown

Looking for Southdown in St. Louis or surrounding area. Could travel easily to KC or elsewhere if I can find it. Please let me know if you have some even if it's farther away then you would think I would travel.
Read more : Looking for Southdown | Views : 782 | Replies : 6 | Forum : General Reefkeeping Discussion

Algae eating fish...wich one

The obvious answer would be a tang...BUT...

I have a 50 gallon, and I dont want to have a tang in a tank this small.

I do need to keep the macro algae in check though. I have a lawnmower blenny in there as well as a sixline and 2 bangi's.

As for other critters I have 2 cleaner shrimp and 2 crabs. 1 porcelin and 1 emerald.
2 fighting conchs 10 nassarious and 10 ...
Read more : Algae eating fish...wich one | Views : 763 | Replies : 5 | Forum : General Reefkeeping Discussion

removing ick from reef no fish

i had one tang fish die :cry: in my 120 soft and leather reef from ick.
so i removed all the rest of the fish to a quarantine tankthey are doing great no trace of ick. :P
my question is how long would it take my reef to be safe for fish,i mean is the ick ...
Read more : removing ick from reef no fish | Views : 631 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General Reefkeeping Discussion

MH generating too much heat. Go to VHO?

Hello guys,

My175 w dual MH unit appears to be generating too much heat. The tank temp shot up to 90 yesterday. I'm thinking of building another top for my DIY hood and purchasing an ICECAP 660 DIY kit on Saturday. Then I can swap that out during the winter or just getting rid of the MH and sticking with the VHO. Is this a good idea? I don't want to have to spend $600 ...
Read more : MH generating too much heat. Go to VHO? | Views : 1150 | Replies : 11 | Forum : General Reefkeeping Discussion

lighting question

i have been checking out this site for sometime now and just decided to join. there seem so be alot of nice people with alot of information to be learned. i was always told to learn from other peoples mistakes especially when the can be expensive. :) anyways to the question :arrow: i currently have a 72 gallon bow ...
Read more : lighting question | Views : 486 | Replies : 3 | Forum : General Reefkeeping Discussion

RO Filter system for Condominium

I have had a Sears RO drinking water filter system (Under the sink) for about a year now and the the filter just broke and is leaking. I would like ot get a better system. I live in a condominium and and tank is on the other side of the building. I do not have a sump either.

So here is the question? Are there RO filter systems that I can get similar to the ...
Read more : RO Filter system for Condominium | Views : 371 | Replies : 5 | Forum : General Reefkeeping Discussion

How to dampen return pump vibration noise?

I just replaced my old Rio 2500 return pump with a Mag 9.5 pump. The problem I now have is the Mag 9.5 does not have a base with suction cups to keep down the vibration nose of the pump sittting on the bottom of the sump. I was considering placing a new household sponge under it for cushioning to dampen the vibration noise. Will the use of a new clean household sponge have any ...
Read more : How to dampen return pump vibration noise? | Views : 533 | Replies : 5 | Forum : General Reefkeeping Discussion

HOW LONG TO DRY?

I JUST FINISHED MY FIRST DIY PROJECT. I MADE A CANOPY FOR MY 90 GALLON TANK. MY QUESTION IS, HOW LONG DO I HAVE TO WAIT FOR THE STAIN AND VARNISH TO DRY? IT HAS BEEN DRYING FOR 48 HOURS AND IT STILL SMELLS.THIS IS MY FIRST WOOD PROJECT SINCE HIGH SCHOOL AND I HAVE NO IDEA IF THIS SMELL LINGERS OR IF IT IS SUPPOSED TO GO AWAY FAST. IM NOT EVEN SURE IF ...
Read more : HOW LONG TO DRY? | Views : 849 | Replies : 4 | Forum : DIY: Do It Yourself

Southdown - Wrong Particle Distribution?

I'm a little confused about this...

On Ron Shimek's web site under the DSB section there is a figure that suggests a DSB particle distribution size that "should work well".

According to Rob Toonen in this thread the particle distribution of Southdown differs from this.

If you break it down so as to compare the numbers in like particle sizes I think it goes something like this:

Ron's Site Recommendation:
Greater Than 1/2 mm: 15% ...
Read more : Southdown - Wrong Particle Distribution? | Views : 814 | Replies : 5 | Forum : General Reefkeeping Discussion

iS 7.5 x PER HOUR ENOUGH TURNOVER ??

My new tank has a turnover of 7.5 X per hour to the sump.
Is this turnover enough for me to not need powerheads in the tank for circulation ?
Read more : iS 7.5 x PER HOUR ENOUGH TURNOVER ?? | Views : 262 | Replies : 1 | Forum : General Reefkeeping Discussion

Login

Statistics

Total posts 2104081 • Total topics 154855 • Total members 34784