Dosing Magnesium WITH Limewater?

If you have a question about your aquarium's chemistry or a Chemistry and the Aquarium Column, please post it here.

Moderators: Randy Holmes-Farley, Admins

Dosing Magnesium WITH Limewater?

Postby ron101 » November 29th, 2007, 3:30 pm

In the interest of reducing maintenance in dosing would it be possible to run freshwater spiked with magnesium (sulfate or chloride) through a kalk reactor to counteract magnesium depletion typical with calcium hydroxide use?

I'm no chemistry expert but I'm guessing that at least there will be a reduction of calcium hydroxide solubility due to the presence of other ions. Will there be any other reaction that could make either or both the Mg and kalk useless (ie. will the Mg just precipitate out?).

Lastly, if it is doable, can acetic acid still be used to dissolve more kalk?

Thanks in advance guys.
ron101

Postby brandonberry » November 29th, 2007, 11:08 pm

I'm pretty sure the limewater will cause the magnesium to precipitate out. According to Randy's article on magnesium supplementation, magnesium really doesn't need to be added all that often and when it is, it can be added all at once, or at least in large doses. There really wouldn't be much point in adding it in the way you mentioned.
brandonberry
Reefkeeper

Postby ron101 » November 29th, 2007, 11:55 pm

I think you are right. I tried adding some magnesium sulfate solution to some saturated kalk and did get some white particles in suspension.
ron101

Return to Chemistry and the Aquarium Discussion