Water heater cracked!

If you are new to the saltwater / reefkeeping hobby, head here first! Find
the help you need and gain from the experiences of seasoned hobbyists.

Moderators: LA-Lawman, Admins

Water heater cracked!

Postby kokid » April 4th, 2009, 10:38 pm

Hi - while performing a partial water change to my 6-gallon tank, I forgot to unplug my water heater, so it cracked when exposed to the air. I did not realize this until 3 hrs later. When I realized it, there was a smoky, electrical smell in the water and the coral that I had looked "limp" and not vibrant. I went to my local fish store and they told me everything would be fine. that my filtration system (carbon filter) would filter the odor out and that the coral is sensitive and that it would look limp on any partial water changes due to stress. He told me to give the coral 2-3 days to pep up again. Is all this true and how will I know if the coral is dead and not just "limp"? THANKS!
kokid

Re: Water heater cracked!

Postby Lawdawg » April 5th, 2009, 3:40 am

I haven't a clue, I guess that time will tell. Hope everything is okay.
minime wrote:A well-flung crab is an ugly thing to be on the receiving end of.
Lawdawg
{squat}

Re: Water heater cracked!

Postby seamaiden » April 5th, 2009, 10:50 am

kokid wrote:Hi - while performing a partial water change to my 6-gallon tank, I forgot to unplug my water heater, so it cracked when exposed to the air. I did not realize this until 3 hrs later. When I realized it, there was a smoky, electrical smell in the water and the coral that I had looked "limp" and not vibrant. I went to my local fish store and they told me everything would be fine. that my filtration system (carbon filter) would filter the odor out and that the coral is sensitive and that it would look limp on any partial water changes due to stress. He told me to give the coral 2-3 days to pep up again. Is all this true and how will I know if the coral is dead and not just "limp"? THANKS!

When it begins to decay. You're lucky you didn't pull some nice juice yourself, I've been shocked pretty badly by broken water heaters.
Theophilus Parsons in 1788 wrote:"If a juror accepts as the law that which the judge states then that juror has accepted the exercise of absolute authority of a government employee and has surrendered a power and right that once was the citizen's safeguard of liberty."
seamaiden
{squat}

Return to New Reefkeepers Forum