Captive bred pinnatus batfish?

A forum dedicated to the discussion of all things related to reef fish.

Moderators: marillion, JimM, jhemdal

Captive bred pinnatus batfish?

Postby Zeppelin » February 13th, 2011, 12:49 pm

Just saw Live Aquaria has 'captive bred' pinnatus batfish listed. Are these truly captive BRED? Anyone know what facility is doing the breeding if they are?

Thanks

Larry
PEACE...from Zeppelin
Zeppelin
Reefkeeper

Re: Captive bred pinnatus batfish?

Postby Veng68 » February 14th, 2011, 6:28 pm

Reefbuiders has a news article about it......... apparently they are captive bred.

Cheers,
Vic
Veng68
Reefkeeper

Postby Zeppelin » February 14th, 2011, 7:17 pm

Vic

Thanks for the reply. I did see that article after posting. Working at getting ahold of one right now.

Larry
PEACE...from Zeppelin
Zeppelin
Reefkeeper

Postby jhemdal » February 17th, 2011, 1:18 pm

Larry,

I recently saw the video of one of these tank-raised ones feeding - I was struck with how languidly the fish fed, just like wild caught juveniles have for me in the past. Makes me believe that just getting a tank-rasied one won't overcome ALL the hurdles these fish have in captivity. For sure don't keep it in with any "nippy" fish, pinnatus just seem unable to get out of the way of other fish, and their fins don't grow back as quickly as do other batfish. I always keep juveniles in a tank by themselves. When the become sub-adults, you can house them with a variety of other fish.

Did you know that these batfish mimic a large toxic flatworm? In fact, if you spook a juvenile pinnatus, they often drop prostrate to the floor of the tank and lay there - just like a flatworm.

Jay
jhemdal
Reefkeeper

Postby Zeppelin » February 17th, 2011, 6:11 pm

Jay

Very cool information. Thanks. Mine will initially be kept with a few juvenile bangaii cardinals and a couple orange lined cardinal sub adults.

About how long do they retain the juvenile coloration?

Larry
PEACE...from Zeppelin
Zeppelin
Reefkeeper

Postby jhemdal » February 20th, 2011, 3:30 pm

Larry,

The few that I've grown to size lost their color gradually, so it was difficult to say when there was an "end point". To be perfectly honest, they lose a lot of their attractiveness at a height of only about 4", when they start to get the pale mide body stripe. The red strip on their nose turns orange than then completely goes away at around 12" tall if I recall correctly.

Jay
jhemdal
Reefkeeper

Postby Zeppelin » February 20th, 2011, 6:53 pm

Jay

Thanks. Do you know what the timeframe for that 12" tall point was from when you got them? Over a year? Over 2? Any idea?

Thanks

Larry
PEACE...from Zeppelin
Zeppelin
Reefkeeper

Return to Fish Forum