Should I get a Roku?

The off-topic forum for members to chat and discuss non-reefkeeping topics. Be warned that this forum is not for the easily offended.

Moderators: asmith, Admins

Should I get a Roku?

Postby Subcomandante Marcos » December 19th, 2011, 12:42 am

We are streaming Amazon videos since I have Amazon prime. I have an Apple TV2 and a mac mini hooked up to the TV. The ATV2 won't stream amazon videos, and the only way to do it on the mini is to use a web browser and manually change the audio source, which seems to be a perpetual challenge to the primary user (not me). So, the Roku streams amazon. Should I get yet another little black box? Most of the rest of the functionality seems redundant with the ATV2.

Anyone have a Roku?
:roll:

Ted Rall wrote:Obama's performance on the foreclosure crisis--along with unemployment, the biggest problem America faces--makes Bush's laissez faire approach to Hurricane Katrina look caring and loving in comparison.
Subcomandante Marcos
{squat}

Re: Should I get a Roku?

Postby budhaboy » December 19th, 2011, 9:26 am

my parents have the Roku - they bought it after I told them about Netflix and our ability to stream movies via the X-box 360 - they love theirs, adn I just bought the Roku 2 for Bernie for an X-mas present.
JP

Sometimes when you're burying a guy alive, for a moment or two you start feeling sorry for him. And then it passes and you keep on shoveling...

oh and people with photo signatures suck
budhaboy
{squat}

Postby MickAv8r » December 19th, 2011, 12:26 pm

My sister wanted to buy me one for Xmas but I looked at it and it dups everything I already have with the Mini. I see there is an unsupported app for Amazon for plex. I may have to check that out cuz I never remember to fire up a browser to use the Amazon streaming.

The other thing I didn't like about the Roku is that you only get decent audio via HDMI. No optical out. That was sort of the deal breaker for me since my amp doesn't support HDMI.
Yea, and God said to Abraham "You will kill your son Isaac." and Abraham said, "I can't hear you, you will have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "Ohh, I'm sorry, is this better? Check, check, check, check. Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."
MickAv8r
RDO Taskforce

Postby Anemone of the State » December 19th, 2011, 12:35 pm

Thanks. I think I may also have found one for xbmc, from which plex forked. If I can do that on my mini, or get it as a jail brake plug in for ATV2, that would be vastly preferable.

I'm using optical audio from my mac mini to my AVR even though it does have HDMI (I bought a Marantz 1402 for $350 -- it is surprisingly good for that money).

I also just got a Logitech Harmony Link on impulse and so far am quite impressed -- I may get the Harmony One if I can figure out how to launch applescripts with it. Apparently it has a very good Plex interface.
Their walls were made of cannon balls, their motto was ...
Anemone of the State
{squat}

Postby MickAv8r » December 19th, 2011, 12:46 pm

For a plex remote I've been using the iPhone app. I want a Harmony One - I have a Universal R50 that I bought a few years ago tho it's currently lost :oops: :lol: Its around here somewhere LOL - its an okay remote, not great but the price as right ie $99 bucks IIRC at the time.
Yea, and God said to Abraham "You will kill your son Isaac." and Abraham said, "I can't hear you, you will have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "Ohh, I'm sorry, is this better? Check, check, check, check. Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."
MickAv8r
RDO Taskforce

Postby Anemone of the State » December 19th, 2011, 2:38 pm

I just installed Plex on my laptop to test it out. The server installed, found the few bits of stuff I have on my laptop, and all is well except I cannot for the life of me find the client that supposedly gets installed as well. WTF am I doing wrong/stupid?
Anemone of the State
{squat}

Postby MickAv8r » December 19th, 2011, 3:11 pm

Mac or Windows?

On the Mac there are two separate installs. Plex Server and the Plex App.
MickAv8r
RDO Taskforce

Postby Anemone of the State » December 19th, 2011, 3:41 pm

Dang. I just figured that out. I tried to get back here to save you the trouble.

This is why I hate the passive voice:

The Plex Desktop Client for Mac OS X is installed along with the Plex Media Server.

http://wiki.plexapp.com/index.php/PlexN ... QuickStart
Anemone of the State
{squat}

Postby Anemone of the State » December 19th, 2011, 7:13 pm

Never got the (abandoned) amazon plugin to work with plex, but after a bit of a struggle, it works reasonably well with XBMC. I have to say, of the two, I think XMBC is nicer. Everyone else seems to have the opposite opinion. Anyway, it pretty much works on my Mini, if I use the latest nightly build.

So that saved me buying a Roku! Thanks for the suggestion.

I am going to try to hack it into my ATV2 at some point.
Anemone of the State
{squat}

Postby The Escaped Ape » December 20th, 2011, 10:05 am

Don't just get one, get six.
Tom
The Escaped Ape
{squat}

Return to The Sump