Guess I was right........money does buy happiness

The off-topic forum for members to chat and discuss non-reefkeeping topics. Be warned that this forum is not for the easily offended.

Moderators: asmith, Admins

Re: Guess I was right........money does buy happiness

Postby fishtanker » March 20th, 2012, 3:07 pm

Oh oh, it's Hail Mary time. We're trying to derail the thread into an interesting conversation.
Self-help books are for people that need a hell of lot more than a self-help book.
User avatar
fishtanker
{squat}
 
Posts: 13703
Joined: May 25th, 2004, 8:37 am
Location: Cohoes, NY

Re: Guess I was right........money does buy happiness

Postby wings » March 20th, 2012, 3:23 pm

ghoti wrote:
wings wrote:Ghoti,
Interestingly enough - "Love and Belonging" (Social) is above this need. So while people here have said, "family makes them happy", "Love and belonging" does NOT take precedent over financial needs - according to Maslow.



I hope you don't get the idea that I am saying money is unnecessary. I daresay modern society would be impossible without it, as it stands now.

Happiness, fulfillment, contentment -- these things all might remain elusive even after all the basic "needs" are met.


I think we're in agreement. I guess your word choice of "incidental" made it seems less than necessary. Maslow's paper was from the 1940's, right? So, they're coming out of the great depression .: bartering could have totally been "in play" still.
-=A mile of road takes you Nowhere. A mile of runway takes you Anywhere=-
User avatar
wings
{squat}
 
Posts: 41956
Joined: September 19th, 2002, 2:11 pm
Location: Up in the air.

Re: Guess I was right........money does buy happiness

Postby Louey » March 20th, 2012, 4:01 pm

Doesn't anyone think they are winning or will eventually win this debate?
User avatar
Louey
DIY Forum Moderator
 
Posts: 30800
Joined: May 16th, 2001, 1:01 am
Location: Fort Myers, Fl

Re: Guess I was right........money does buy happiness

Postby ghoti » March 20th, 2012, 4:09 pm

wings wrote: I guess your word choice of "incidental" made it seems less than necessary.


What I meant was that correlation does not imply causation. It is likely that having money, having all one's needs met and being happy can all be correlated. But correlation does not imply causation. I tend to suspect that there are other factors that tend to cause a person to have more money and make them happy.

It is an important distinction because I think bad things can happen when one starts to believe that money is the seminal origin of the happiness.
Last edited by ghoti on March 20th, 2012, 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
ghoti
{squat}
 
Posts: 7090
Joined: March 24th, 2004, 9:17 pm
Location: In the dark recesses of your mind

Re: Guess I was right........money does buy happiness

Postby Salty Dog » March 20th, 2012, 4:11 pm

Wazzel wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
_Andy wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
_Andy wrote:I am their father because I am their father not because I thought about it.



You said they will remember you for being their dad...............but before you said you have never thought about it.

How can both be true??


Sure you said it.



Show me.


It's just a fact - no thought needed.

It's a fact no quote needed.



So you can't prove you're not full of **** and just making stuff up to further your point??


Got it :D


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:



When I "selective quote"= bad

When other people misquote me = funny


Thanks once again for proving my point :D
User avatar
Salty Dog
{squat}
 
Posts: 13175
Joined: January 4th, 2000, 2:01 am
Location: Greenville South Carolina

Re: Guess I was right........money does buy happiness

Postby ghoti » March 20th, 2012, 4:11 pm

Louey wrote:Doesn't anyone think they are winning or will eventually win this debate?


I'm getting something out of this but I don't hold any illusions that I am changing anybody's mind.
User avatar
ghoti
{squat}
 
Posts: 7090
Joined: March 24th, 2004, 9:17 pm
Location: In the dark recesses of your mind

Re: Guess I was right........money does buy happiness

Postby Salty Dog » March 20th, 2012, 4:15 pm

Wazzel wrote:
wings wrote:Ghoti,
Interestingly enough - "Love and Belonging" (Social) is above this need. So while people here have said, "family makes them happy", "Love and belonging" does NOT take precedent over financial needs - according to Maslow.


Could be that the money to live is in layers one and two and is the money level needed to survive. The money to get luxury items would be in layer 4 (esteem). Level 5 is once you realize that even tho money plays a part of your life there is more to living than money.



Wow Waz...........could you think up any more straw men while you're at it??? :lol:


Has anyone said there isn't more to living than money???


If you're going to base your counter points on stuff no one actually said it's kind of hard to have a reasonable debate.............you and Andy could chat for quite a while though I bet.


:lol:

Answers to questions no one asked.
User avatar
Salty Dog
{squat}
 
Posts: 13175
Joined: January 4th, 2000, 2:01 am
Location: Greenville South Carolina

Re: Guess I was right........money does buy happiness

Postby Salty Dog » March 20th, 2012, 4:24 pm

budhaboy wrote:I'm not going to debate the more money for half the work because that is in no way close to reality.


Sorry.........I've already proven in one of my professions it IS reality.

Just because you think it will never happen to you doesn't mean it never happens :wink:


I'm sure yet again you'll read far more into my statements[/quote]


How much can you read into "maybe"??..........you didn't really say anything :lol:

For whatever reason you guys have to associate more money with more stress and heartache..............that makes me laugh. I live about as stress free a life as possible...........I have a bunch of responsibilities sure but so does everyone...........welcome to being an adult.



You said you dream of winning the lottery right??..............so you would gladly take in a bunch of money for no more added work or time on your part??
User avatar
Salty Dog
{squat}
 
Posts: 13175
Joined: January 4th, 2000, 2:01 am
Location: Greenville South Carolina

Re: Guess I was right........money does buy happiness

Postby fishtanker » March 20th, 2012, 4:25 pm

Louey wrote:Doesn't anyone think they are winning or will eventually win this debate?


This is just Mental Masturbation for Dummies.
Self-help books are for people that need a hell of lot more than a self-help book.
User avatar
fishtanker
{squat}
 
Posts: 13703
Joined: May 25th, 2004, 8:37 am
Location: Cohoes, NY

Re: Guess I was right........money does buy happiness

Postby Wazzel » March 20th, 2012, 4:36 pm

Salty Dog wrote:
Wazzel wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
_Andy wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
_Andy wrote:I am their father because I am their father not because I thought about it.



You said they will remember you for being their dad...............but before you said you have never thought about it.

How can both be true??


Sure you said it.



Show me.


It's just a fact - no thought needed.

It's a fact no quote needed.



So you can't prove you're not full of **** and just making stuff up to further your point??


Got it :D


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:



When I "selective quote"= bad

When other people misquote me = funny


Thanks once again for proving my point :D

Actually I was laughing at the point that you are know for NOT providing any data to back up you points and you stand here accusing someone of doing the same.
Mark /////////
Somedays you're the mouse and somedays you're the printer.

My Give a Damm is just about gone.
User avatar
Wazzel
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 36587
Joined: April 8th, 2002, 1:01 am
Location: Houma, LA

Re: Guess I was right........money does buy happiness

Postby Wazzel » March 20th, 2012, 4:38 pm

Salty Dog wrote:
Wazzel wrote:
wings wrote:Ghoti,
Interestingly enough - "Love and Belonging" (Social) is above this need. So while people here have said, "family makes them happy", "Love and belonging" does NOT take precedent over financial needs - according to Maslow.


Could be that the money to live is in layers one and two and is the money level needed to survive. The money to get luxury items would be in layer 4 (esteem). Level 5 is once you realize that even tho money plays a part of your life there is more to living than money.



Wow Waz...........could you think up any more straw men while you're at it??? :lol:


Has anyone said there isn't more to living than money???


If you're going to base your counter points on stuff no one actually said it's kind of hard to have a reasonable debate.............you and Andy could chat for quite a while though I bet.


:lol:

Answers to questions no one asked.
You provide no answers to questions directly asked.
Mark /////////
Somedays you're the mouse and somedays you're the printer.

My Give a Damm is just about gone.
User avatar
Wazzel
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 36587
Joined: April 8th, 2002, 1:01 am
Location: Houma, LA

Re: Guess I was right........money does buy happiness

Postby Wazzel » March 20th, 2012, 4:39 pm

Louey wrote:Doesn't anyone think they are winning or will eventually win this debate?

There is a debate going on? I just want Salty to admit to what he has been implying to for the past however many post but backs away from it when it is shoved in his face.
Mark /////////
Somedays you're the mouse and somedays you're the printer.

My Give a Damm is just about gone.
User avatar
Wazzel
Global Moderator
 
Posts: 36587
Joined: April 8th, 2002, 1:01 am
Location: Houma, LA

Re: Guess I was right........money does buy happiness

Postby Salty Dog » March 20th, 2012, 4:42 pm

Wazzel wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
Wazzel wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
_Andy wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
_Andy wrote:I am their father because I am their father not because I thought about it.



You said they will remember you for being their dad...............but before you said you have never thought about it.

How can both be true??


Sure you said it.



Show me.


It's just a fact - no thought needed.

It's a fact no quote needed.



So you can't prove you're not full of **** and just making stuff up to further your point??


Got it :D


:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:



When I "selective quote"= bad

When other people misquote me = funny


Thanks once again for proving my point :D

Actually I was laughing at the point that you are know for NOT providing any data to back up you points and you stand here accusing someone of doing the same.



When attribute a comment to someone else I quote them.............always.
User avatar
Salty Dog
{squat}
 
Posts: 13175
Joined: January 4th, 2000, 2:01 am
Location: Greenville South Carolina

Re: Guess I was right........money does buy happiness

Postby wings » March 20th, 2012, 4:42 pm

ghoti wrote:
wings wrote: I guess your word choice of "incidental" made it seems less than necessary.


What I meant was that correlation does not imply causation. It is likely that having money, having all one's needs met and being happy can all be correlated. But correlation does not imply causation. I tend to suspect that there are other factors that tend to cause a person to have more money and make them happy.

It is an important distinction because I think bad things can happen when one starts to believe that money is the seminal origin of the happiness.


Ahh gotcha.
-=A mile of road takes you Nowhere. A mile of runway takes you Anywhere=-
User avatar
wings
{squat}
 
Posts: 41956
Joined: September 19th, 2002, 2:11 pm
Location: Up in the air.

Re: Guess I was right........money does buy happiness

Postby Salty Dog » March 20th, 2012, 4:43 pm

Wazzel wrote:
Louey wrote:Doesn't anyone think they are winning or will eventually win this debate?

There is a debate going on? I just want Salty to admit to what he has been implying to for the past however many post but backs away from it when it is shoved in his face.




You want me to admit to something I never said???


:lol:


You have thrown up so many straw men in this thread you can't tell them from reality any more.
User avatar
Salty Dog
{squat}
 
Posts: 13175
Joined: January 4th, 2000, 2:01 am
Location: Greenville South Carolina

Re: Guess I was right........money does buy happiness

Postby Salty Dog » March 20th, 2012, 4:46 pm

wings wrote:
ghoti wrote:
wings wrote: I guess your word choice of "incidental" made it seems less than necessary.


What I meant was that correlation does not imply causation. It is likely that having money, having all one's needs met and being happy can all be correlated. But correlation does not imply causation. I tend to suspect that there are other factors that tend to cause a person to have more money and make them happy.

It is an important distinction because I think bad things can happen when one starts to believe that money is the seminal origin of the happiness.


Ahh gotcha.




Money makes the world go 'round Hank..................do you really not believe that??........or do you just wish it wasn't true??
User avatar
Salty Dog
{squat}
 
Posts: 13175
Joined: January 4th, 2000, 2:01 am
Location: Greenville South Carolina

Re: Guess I was right........money does buy happiness

Postby _Andy » March 20th, 2012, 4:47 pm

Salty Dog wrote:
_Andy wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
_Andy wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
_Andy wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
_Andy wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
_Andy wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
_Andy wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:If money doesn't buy hapiness why aren't people more cheery when they have to file bankruptcy??..........Why does the world get nervous when countries appear on the verge of defaulting on their debts??


You are confusing basic security with happiness.

When someone dies does a trip to the bank make you feel better?




It wouldn't change my feelings one way or the other...........I would take whatever money I got and purchase something nice that could be passed down for generations to come and always be remembered as a gift from the deceased.............I would make sure their money provided happiness for many years after they are gone.


What's the primary thing that needs to be settled when someone passes??..........their estate right?? No one gives a **** about some moth eaten clothes or old bowling balls...........but mention you found 50 grand in the garage and you will have fringe family members you never met trying to get a slice. Why do people fight over money when someone passes on??


A lot of people are in your boat and they scratch and claw for every penny. I pity them too.



Why do people fight over money when someone passes on??


Like I have already told you - you have a lot of people in this word similar to yourself. It is a sad fact of life.



I've already told you we don't need money so there would be no fighting in my family.


Why do people fight over money when someone passes on??



You work days, nights, weekends for money to make you happy - what's wrong with your parent's money? won't it make you happy?


Don't need it.

Why do people fight over money when someone passes on??


You do need it. that's why you work so many hours and jobs - you have to get your next "fix" and you have to compensate for your fears of losing stuff. You will spend it to satisfy your hunger. Unless you make a change that is.

Some people fight over money for the same reasons you will - they think it will make them happy somehow. The need will never go away for them or you unless they/you change.



So you are going to fight with your family over your dad's money when he passes???



Why would I? I own the house and will sell whatever my brother or I don't want then write my brother a check for half.



Because you need it..........you want it, so you will obviously fight your brother for it.


Salty most people - esp me - are nothing like you. It is important you remember that.
User avatar
_Andy
{squat}
 
Posts: 69191
Joined: September 22nd, 2006, 8:58 am

Re: Guess I was right........money does buy happiness

Postby _Andy » March 20th, 2012, 4:48 pm

Salty Dog wrote:
_Andy wrote:
Salty Dog wrote:
_Andy wrote:I am their father because I am their father not because I thought about it.



You said they will remember you for being their dad...............but before you said you have never thought about it.

How can both be true??


Sure you said it.



Show me.


It's just a fact - no thought needed.

It's a fact no quote needed.



So you can't prove you're not full of **** and just making stuff up to further your point??


Got it :D


Surely you can remember what said and more importantly what you believe.
User avatar
_Andy
{squat}
 
Posts: 69191
Joined: September 22nd, 2006, 8:58 am

Re: Guess I was right........money does buy happiness

Postby wings » March 20th, 2012, 4:49 pm

Salty Dog wrote:
wings wrote:
ghoti wrote:
wings wrote: I guess your word choice of "incidental" made it seems less than necessary.


What I meant was that correlation does not imply causation. It is likely that having money, having all one's needs met and being happy can all be correlated. But correlation does not imply causation. I tend to suspect that there are other factors that tend to cause a person to have more money and make them happy.

It is an important distinction because I think bad things can happen when one starts to believe that money is the seminal origin of the happiness.


Ahh gotcha.




Money makes the world go 'round Hank..................do you really not believe that??........or do you just wish it wasn't true??


I'm not exactly sure Hank said that or believes that.


ghoti wrote:I hope you don't get the idea that I am saying money is unnecessary. I daresay modern society would be impossible without it, as it stands now.
-=A mile of road takes you Nowhere. A mile of runway takes you Anywhere=-
User avatar
wings
{squat}
 
Posts: 41956
Joined: September 19th, 2002, 2:11 pm
Location: Up in the air.

Re: Guess I was right........money does buy happiness

Postby Salty Dog » March 20th, 2012, 4:53 pm

_Andy wrote:Salty most people - esp me - are nothing like you. It is important you remember that.



Oh.......so when you say it we should all believe you but when I say it we shouldn't.


:lol:


MDD's Andy.........It's important you remember those.
User avatar
Salty Dog
{squat}
 
Posts: 13175
Joined: January 4th, 2000, 2:01 am
Location: Greenville South Carolina

PreviousNext

Return to The Sump

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: PaintGuru, Snailman and 59 guests