2 US men arrested on gay cruise in Caribbean

The off-topic forum for members to chat and discuss non-reefkeeping topics. Be warned that this forum is not for the easily offended.

Moderators: asmith, Admins

Re: 2 US men arrested on gay cruise in Caribbean

Postby knowse » March 22nd, 2012, 3:33 pm

tangirl wrote:
tangirl wrote:
guy wrote:The balcony of a cruise ship could be considered a private area or at least a reasonable expectation of privacy. I see this as some peeping Tom raising a flag saying I shouldn't have to see this behavior through my telescope.

Of course, I have no facts. It could have been on a surf board in the wave pool for all I know.

My living room could be considered a privates area with a reasonable expectation of privacy too. But since I don't have a shade or curtains on my large picture window, I bet I could get in trouble if I went at it there too.

Heheh- I meant private area of course.

In the state of Ga it's illegal to have sex with the lights off...so if your kid just happened to walk in your room unannounced and was po'd at you...guess what might happen?!?

I'm Guy on this one, unless they were out on the decks, they had the reasonable expectation of privacy.
Sally
knowse
{squat}

Postby Guy » March 22nd, 2012, 4:27 pm

Magilla Gorilla wrote:
Guy wrote:
tangirl wrote:
guy wrote:The balcony of a cruise ship could be considered a private area or at least a reasonable expectation of privacy. I see this as some peeping Tom raising a flag saying I shouldn't have to see this behavior through my telescope.

Of course, I have no facts. It could have been on a surf board in the wave pool for all I know.

My living room could be considered a privates area with a reasonable expectation of privacy too. But since I don't have a shade or curtains on my large picture window, I bet I could get in trouble if I went at it there too.

A polite person would pretend not to notice.

But a Sumpizen would get pics via zoom lens for posting and comments. :P

No doubt! :twisted:
Guy
{squat}

Postby seven » March 22nd, 2012, 5:21 pm

sfsuphysics wrote:
tangirl wrote:You're telling me it's perfectly legal for me and some dude to get naked and screw out in the open in plain sight of everyone? Now, I've never been to this island, but I'm guessing that is not the case.

First line of the story hon.

Two California men on a gay cruise of the Caribbean were arrested Wednesday in Dominica, where sex between two men is illegal.

While public indecency might illegal as well, it's illegal for men to have sex with other men PERIOD, even behind closed doors with no windows in the basement where not even the coconuts can see. And yeah they were flagged for someone having seen them having sex on a cruise ship.

Second line of the story:

Police Constable John George said the men were arrested on suspicion of indecent exposure and "buggery," a term equivalent to sodomy on the island.

Fourth line of the story:

The two were later charged with indecent exposure and are scheduled to appear before a magistrate Thursday morning.

They were neither arrested nor charged for being gay. Tan is spot on in her assessment.
You are completely, 100%, absolutely unique...just like everybody else.

It's all fun and games till someone gets thier eye poked out...then it's one-eyed fun and games.

Proverbs 31:6,7

Gaige_of_another_board wrote:Sex with a hairy armed pigtailed yeti? Yeah, its pretty easy.

Tangirl wrote:Oh, yeah, and suck it eddyp.
seven
{squat}

Postby tangirl » March 22nd, 2012, 5:49 pm

The fact that it was 2 guys and not a hottie like me and a guy is probably what sent the witness over the edge, but i think the paper put a spin on it.

They were arrested for suspicion of indecent behavior and suspicion of buggery. I suspect 90% of the people on that boat participated in some type of buggery.
Chris don't care about your poop.

Angry people want you to see how powerful they are. Loving people want you to see how powerful you are. – Chief Red Eagle

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. - Gandalf
tangirl
{squat}

Postby tangirl » March 22nd, 2012, 5:51 pm

And it may be a well deserved spin. Bring some attention to the matter. But this one is probably being blown out of proportion.
Chris don't care about your poop.

Angry people want you to see how powerful they are. Loving people want you to see how powerful you are. – Chief Red Eagle

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. - Gandalf
tangirl
{squat}

Postby sfsuphysics » March 22nd, 2012, 6:07 pm

seven wrote:

and "buggery," a term equivalent to sodomy on the island.

They were neither arrested nor charged for being gay. Tan is spot on in her assessment.

The fact "buggery" is illegal is tantamount to charged for being gay. While they haven't gone so far as to say being gay is illegal, it apparently is illegal to do "gay stuff" (and yes I realize heterosexuals can do "gay stuff" too)

"Yeah it's ok that you're gay... just you're not allowed to do any of the icky stuff you do, not even behind closed doors", the fact indecent exposure was in there is rather irrelevant.

Hell in California up until 1976 "buggery" was illegal as well, and included oral sex as well. When the law was originally repealed there was a rather vocal crusade by anti-gay "activists" trying to ban gay teachers, and wanted Harvey Milk assassinated
sfsuphysics
{squat}

Postby Unarce » March 22nd, 2012, 6:19 pm

All knees on deck!
Unarce
Collector's Forum Moderator

Postby seven » March 22nd, 2012, 6:39 pm

sfsuphysics wrote:
seven wrote:

and "buggery," a term equivalent to sodomy on the island.

The fact "buggery" is illegal is tantamount to charged for being gay. While they haven't gone so far as to say being gay is illegal, it apparently is illegal to do "gay stuff" (and yes I realize heterosexuals can do "gay stuff" too)

"Yeah it's ok that you're gay... just you're not allowed to do any of the icky stuff you do, not even behind closed doors", the fact indecent exposure was in there is rather irrelevant.

Hell in California up until 1976 "buggery" was illegal as well, and included oral sex as well. When the law was originally repealed there was a rather vocal crusade by anti-gay "activists" trying to ban gay teachers, and wanted Harvey Milk assassinated

And the part in bold is exactly why Tan is right. If two heteros were getting down in public, they would be charged as well.

That isn't to say that the area isn't very regressive towards sexuality, it is.

It's all fun and games till someone gets thier eye poked out...then it's one-eyed fun and games.

Gaige_of_another_board wrote:Sex with a hairy armed pigtailed yeti? Yeah, its pretty easy.

seven
{squat}

Postby sfsuphysics » March 22nd, 2012, 8:06 pm

seven wrote:
And the part in bold is exactly why Tan is right. If two heteros were getting down in public, they would be charged as well.

The problem that if two gays are getting down in private that is still illegal, the public part was the indecency charge. The buggery is a bit of sexual repression, and you have to admit how that's aimed directly at gay men.
sfsuphysics
{squat}

Postby seven » March 22nd, 2012, 8:28 pm

sfsuphysics wrote:
seven wrote:

The problem that if two gays are getting down in private that is still illegal, the public part was the indecency charge. The buggery is a bit of sexual repression, and you have to admit how that's aimed directly at gay men.

Most likely it is yes, they are evidently really weird about sexuality as a whole and homosexuality in particular...

seven
{squat}

Postby Magilla Gorilla » March 23rd, 2012, 10:20 am

This thread reminds me of when Homer takes Burn's yacht (Gone FIssion) out into international waters to drink.
The Chinese pirates spy them and think they're another homosexual party boat.
Societies get what they celebrate.
-Dean Kamen
Nationalism is the succubus of tyranny.
How long? Not long. 'Cause what you reap... is what you sew.
-RATM
Magilla Gorilla
{squat}

Postby Snailman » March 23rd, 2012, 10:26 am

Imagine what would happen if they did this in Dubai! 8O
Snailman
{squat}

Postby Uncle Mike » March 23rd, 2012, 1:18 pm

sfsuphysics wrote:
seven wrote:

Most countries have laws on the books that are rarely, if ever, enforced. This may be case in Dominica. It may be that "buggery" is never enforced against private conduct. But once the conduct is in a public place, then it gets enforced. In this case, the coduct could be considered "public" even if it was inside the cabin if the door and curtain was open, and the inside of the cabin was clearly viewable from shore or the dock. It is the equivalent of standing naked in front of a picture window that overlooks a school bus stop. The fact that you are in your own home is no defense to a charge of indecency (in most jurisdictions).
K1300S, R1200GS, CB1100F, VFR750F, XS650C. Honk if you've never seen a gun fired from a motorcycle.
Uncle Mike
{squat}

Previous

Return to The Sump