whats for dinner?

The off-topic forum for members to chat and discuss non-reefkeeping topics. Be warned that this forum is not for the easily offended.

Moderators: asmith, Admins

Re: whats for dinner?

Postby _Andy » May 5th, 2012, 11:57 pm

I can also go to 3 different places within walking distance of the house and get quite adequate bbq - the great stuff is a little further into the more rural areas or I have to cook it myself, go to a family reunion, or a funeral.
_Andy
{squat}

Postby Shade of Knucklehead » May 6th, 2012, 12:05 am

You can get really good BBQ here along side the road in the "black" section of bridgeton. They set up this huge grill and cook away. Its so good you can't even drive home while you are eating it. You have to stop.
I believe that religion is one of the most evil things on the planet, and mankind will never truly be at peace until we rise up and cast off the shackles created by our ancestors inability to cope with their superstitious fear.
Shade of Knucklehead
{squat}

Postby The Escaped Ape » May 6th, 2012, 1:33 am

tangirl wrote:Not always. It's hard to find good BBQ joints here too, especially up north.

I guessed that was the case. For all I know, the bloke who owned the place might be from New Jersey. But he was genuinely American, I can attest to that. He was very friendly (I almost typed "overly"), enough to put this Brit slightly on the back foot, but I rallied myself after the initial feeling of WTF and responded in kind (though I did use the word "lovely" about the food once and I'm pretty sure an American man wouldn't do that :oops: ).

minime wrote:I'm surprised, why wouldn't the best Texas barbecue be in Japan?

:P

OK, smart arse. :lol: :P

I'm not looking for the "best" Texas barbecue, just something that's worth the money. It's the only place I've seen in Tokyo doing the proper bbq stuff you all talk about here and I wanted to try the real thing, fully aware it wouldn't be quite the genuine article. I was just hoping it would be close to it.

_Andy wrote::lol:

Sorry it wasn't that great Tom.

BBQ is serious buisness in the South. Each State has it's own specialties and each region within the state has it's own specialties. Mostly pork here - vinegar based, mustard based, ketchup based, whole hog bbq, shoulder bbq, (doesn't compare to whole hog bbq which is King although not as readily avalable as it once was), cooking methods, etc and then there is ribs. I can travel a 30 or 40 mile radius and get the best bbq in the world and each is quite different. I love it all... esp when they have banana pudding for dessert.

Thanks Andy. Maybe this is something we're going to have to do some serious research on if and when we make it over. :wink:

The ribs were one of the biggest disappointments. There's no real excuse for serving ribs with so little meat, as it's completely possible to get meaty ribs over here. There's a place called The American Clubhouse here that serves delicious, meaty ribs, but there's a real Japanese influence (my wife always has the soy sauce marinaded version they serve), so I doubt it's what you eat over there (though they do taste very good).
Tom
The Escaped Ape
{squat}

Postby MickAv8r » May 6th, 2012, 1:38 am

Its cinco de mayo so it was mexican food. Main course I did taqueria style tacos ie carne asada chopped steak on warmed corn tortillas with chopped onion and cilantro.
Yea, and God said to Abraham "You will kill your son Isaac." and Abraham said, "I can't hear you, you will have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "Ohh, I'm sorry, is this better? Check, check, check, check. Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."
MickAv8r
RDO Taskforce

Postby _Andy » May 6th, 2012, 1:46 am

The Escaped Ape wrote:
tangirl wrote:Not always. It's hard to find good BBQ joints here too, especially up north.

I guessed that was the case. For all I know, the bloke who owned the place might be from New Jersey. But he was genuinely American, I can attest to that. He was very friendly (I almost typed "overly"), enough to put this Brit slightly on the back foot, but I rallied myself after the initial feeling of WTF and responded in kind (though I did use the word "lovely" about the food once and I'm pretty sure an American man wouldn't do that :oops: ).

minime wrote:I'm surprised, why wouldn't the best Texas barbecue be in Japan?

:P

OK, smart arse. :lol: :P

I'm not looking for the "best" Texas barbecue, just something that's worth the money. It's the only place I've seen in Tokyo doing the proper bbq stuff you all talk about here and I wanted to try the real thing, fully aware it wouldn't be quite the genuine article. I was just hoping it would be close to it.

_Andy wrote::lol:

Sorry it wasn't that great Tom.

BBQ is serious buisness in the South. Each State has it's own specialties and each region within the state has it's own specialties. Mostly pork here - vinegar based, mustard based, ketchup based, whole hog bbq, shoulder bbq, (doesn't compare to whole hog bbq which is King although not as readily avalable as it once was), cooking methods, etc and then there is ribs. I can travel a 30 or 40 mile radius and get the best bbq in the world and each is quite different. I love it all... esp when they have banana pudding for dessert.

Thanks Andy. Maybe this is something we're going to have to do some serious research on if and when we make it over. :wink:

The ribs were one of the biggest disappointments. There's no real excuse for serving ribs with so little meat, as it's completely possible to get meaty ribs over here. There's a place called The American Clubhouse here that serves delicious, meaty ribs, but there's a real Japanese influence (my wife always has the soy sauce marinaded version they serve), so I doubt it's what you eat over there (though they do taste very good).

We would have to go here - Sweatman's BBQ in Eutawville..

_Andy
{squat}

Postby The Escaped Ape » May 6th, 2012, 1:48 am

Ooooh. Yes. I like the sound/look of that. :lol:
Tom
The Escaped Ape
{squat}

Postby _Andy » May 6th, 2012, 1:52 am

Or we could put a pig on the fire around 4 or 5 AM, hang out by the pool or creek, check and baste the pig every so often, then around supper time just pick the meat right off the pig. The pieces you steal while cooking are always the best.
_Andy
{squat}

Postby _Andy » May 6th, 2012, 1:57 am

For 20 years or so I would be the only white man here getting lunch or dinner - about a year or so ago some hipster type critics started writing about the place and now instead of waiting in line with local working men you stand there with a bunch of douches. Southern and sea food - not bbq.

_Andy
{squat}

Postby _Andy » May 6th, 2012, 1:59 am

_Andy wrote:For 20 years or so I would be the only white man here getting lunch or dinner - about a year or so ago some hipster type critics started writing about the place and now instead of waiting in line with local working men you stand there with a bunch of douches. Southern and sea food - not bbq.

Ms. Gadsden - Martha Lou.

_Andy
{squat}

Postby _Andy » May 6th, 2012, 2:15 am

This is where we are going in the morning for brunch - Poogan's porch. It's incredible food plus it's haunted by a dog...
http://www.poogansporch.com/

And will prolly be having this -

Or maybe this -

_Andy
{squat}

Postby The Escaped Ape » May 6th, 2012, 7:04 am

Dammit Andy, don't do this to me! I'm waiting for dinner as we speak! :x

When we do end up visiting, I'm guessing we'll leave 20 pounds heavier! :lol:
Tom
The Escaped Ape
{squat}

Postby tangirl » May 6th, 2012, 7:07 am

Well now I know where to eat when i venture south this summer. :D
Chris don't care about your poop.

Angry people want you to see how powerful they are. Loving people want you to see how powerful you are. – Chief Red Eagle

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. - Gandalf
tangirl
{squat}

Postby Flabello Meandroid » May 6th, 2012, 7:25 am

tangirl wrote:Yeah, I was thinking chicken wings, but then flabs blew me off.

Next time it's your turn. :wink:

Sorry though. Stupid GE people think saturday night is an appropriate time to get hysterical.
Flabello Meandroid
{squat}

Postby Bucolic Buffalo » May 6th, 2012, 8:15 am

8) 8) 8)
Radio KAOS "Billy come home."
Bucolic Buffalo
{squat}

Postby Guy » May 6th, 2012, 8:39 am

The Escaped Ape wrote:Dammit Andy, don't do this to me! I'm waiting for dinner as we speak! :x

I can confirm that you cannot leave SC the same weight you entered.
Guy
{squat}

Postby _Andy » May 6th, 2012, 8:48 am

The Escaped Ape wrote:Dammit Andy, don't do this to me! I'm waiting for dinner as we speak! :x

If it's June, July, or August what you eat is balanced by what you sweat. :wink:
_Andy
{squat}

Postby _Andy » May 6th, 2012, 8:49 am

tangirl wrote:Well now I know where to eat when i venture south this summer. :D

There are so may great places to eat in Charleston and if you add the surrounding area it prolly doubles.
_Andy
{squat}

Postby _Andy » May 6th, 2012, 9:18 am

Guy wrote:

It takes longer than 24 hours to hit a few good places - when are you and T coming back?
_Andy
{squat}

Postby _Andy » May 6th, 2012, 9:23 am

This is where Guy and his bride ate -

https://www.middletonplace.org/restaurant.html

and this is where they stayed -

_Andy
{squat}

Postby Guy » May 6th, 2012, 11:04 am

_Andy wrote:
Guy wrote:

It takes longer than 24 hours to hit a few good places - when are you and T coming back?

As soon as I get a break at work we're coming back down. Love that place!

I haven't been that relaxed in many many years.
Attachments
Middleton2011-01-3.jpg
Middleton2011-01-3.jpg (127.65 KiB) Viewed 93 times
Middleton2011-01-1.jpg
Middleton2011-01-1.jpg (110.96 KiB) Viewed 93 times
Guy
{squat}

PreviousNext

Return to The Sump