Zero Turn Lawnmowers

The off-topic forum for members to chat and discuss non-reefkeeping topics. Be warned that this forum is not for the easily offended.

Moderators: asmith, Admins

Zero Turn Lawnmowers

Postby Chrispy » June 6th, 2012, 3:08 pm

I have a sizable amount of gift cards at Home Depot, and want to purchase a zero turn lawnmower.

Home Depot has the following:

Toro Time Cutter
Cub Cadet
Z-Beast
John Deere EZTrak
Ariens Zoom

Anyone have any recommendations/experience with any of the brands?

Thanks in advance.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Chrispy
Reefkeeper

Re: Zero Turn Lawnmowers

Postby Flabello Meandroid » June 6th, 2012, 3:10 pm

I had one of those once but I couldn't figure out how to get home.
Flabello Meandroid
{squat}

Postby Uncle Mike » June 6th, 2012, 3:13 pm

The trick is to plant a foot off to one side and lean way over.
K1300S, R1200GS, CB1100F, VFR750F, XS650C. Honk if you've never seen a gun fired from a motorcycle.
Uncle Mike
{squat}

Postby tangirl » June 6th, 2012, 5:39 pm

I know that the John Deeres at home depot are good, but they're not what you think when you think John Deere. That said, they're good, but they're probably over priced because they're John Deere.

I recommend the first thing you do is go sit on them before you do any research. Very easy way to weed some out. I couldn't believe the difference between the seating position on the different lawn tractors. The was a...Cub Cadet I think...that I thought I was going to buy based n reviews. I sat on it and the body of the mower was totally right in my crotch.

I know zero turns are different, but I'm sure the seat positions are all different too.

When you do go buy one, find a vet buddy or an active duty military military with you and get 10% off.
Chris don't care about your poop.

Angry people want you to see how powerful they are. Loving people want you to see how powerful you are. – Chief Red Eagle

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. - Gandalf
tangirl
{squat}

Postby knowse » June 6th, 2012, 6:09 pm

Yes to what Tan said. They're all different. The way a commercial mower feels and how a home mower feels is way different. Also the way the handles are set is vastly different as well. Find one that fits your body, then research.
Sally
knowse
{squat}

Postby Bucolic Buffalo » June 6th, 2012, 9:24 pm

More money = more comfort. They suck on hills and ditches. They cannot negotiate standing water, very soggy soil areas. They typically have a high pound per sq inch on the tire surfaces, so soil compaction is high. Meaning, over time they leave these trails in your yard that never seem to grow grass well. Most people run they way too fast and the cut suffers. But if you really do not care how the yard looks, just want the grass cut, they will do it quickly. Typically a fast turn tears the sod up.
Radio KAOS "Billy come home."
Bucolic Buffalo
{squat}

Postby Bucolic Buffalo » June 6th, 2012, 9:26 pm

Oh, and do not take your hand off a lever to wave at a passerby. You will do a uuuueee in the yard real quick. 8O 8O :lol: :lol: :lol:
Radio KAOS "Billy come home."
Bucolic Buffalo
{squat}

Postby tangirl » June 6th, 2012, 9:32 pm

Why zero turn and not a riding mower? I'm loving mine.

I know you have HD gift cards, but sears has some amazing deals if you catch them right.

I saved almost $1000 on my rider and got 1 year no interest. I bought my walk behind on clearance and saved well over $100.

The other day, I went there to return a blade I paid too much for and they're clearing out all their tool chests. Everything was at least $100 off. I got a $180 tool chest for $62, then I had 30 in rewards credits so I paid $32 for it. I'm going to go back and get something else tomorrow. :mrgreen:

Angry people want you to see how powerful they are. Loving people want you to see how powerful you are. – Chief Red Eagle

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. - Gandalf
tangirl
{squat}

Postby tangirl » June 6th, 2012, 9:32 pm

Oh, and i tow my little cart around the yard with the mower. It's awesome.

tangirl
{squat}

Postby Chrispy » June 7th, 2012, 3:53 pm

Tan, I have a 1993 Simplicity riding mower and I absolutely LOVE it. The problem is that it's leaking oil out of the engine and the dealer can't seem to find where it is. I'm tired of paying $500 per year in repairs.

The other big issue for me is that it takes me 3 hours to cut my lawn (2+ acres), and frankly I am tired of wasting 3 hours of my weekend cutting. I'd much rather be **** off. BB, I understand (and agree with) your concerns. I will be cutting it different ways so hopefully it won't wear the grass down too much.

I have about 3 grand in gift cards at Home Depot which have just been sitting on my counter for well over a year. Time to use them on something.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. You guys are awesome.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." - Albert Einstein
Chrispy
Reefkeeper

Postby Uncle Mike » June 7th, 2012, 3:58 pm

What about copter cat? Couldn't you attach a blade on the bottom? Copter cat should be able to turn on a dime, and no concerns with tramping down the grass.
K1300S, R1200GS, CB1100F, VFR750F, XS650C. Honk if you've never seen a gun fired from a motorcycle.
Uncle Mike
{squat}

Postby _Andy » June 7th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Get some goats - sexy lady goats.
_Andy
{squat}

Postby tangirl » June 7th, 2012, 3:59 pm

Chrispy wrote:I have about 3 grand in gift cards at Home Depot which have just been sitting on my counter for well over a year. Time to use them on something.

8O Holy ****! Good for you!

But yeah, I have an acre and it takes me about an hour. Maybe more, I haven't timed it since I bought the rider because I don't care all that much. I still remember 3 hours with the walk behind. 8O

Seriously though, take an military buddy with you and use his 10% discount for an item that large. If the HD you go to doesn't accept it, go down the street to the other one. My Home Depot gives the discount every single day, but my friend's Home Depot gives her a hard time everytime. They're supposed to give it, some are just jerks.

tangirl
{squat}

Postby EddyP » June 7th, 2012, 4:01 pm

Uncle Mike wrote:The trick is to plant a foot off to one side and lean way over.

You gotta be careful though.
http://www.newstimes.com/policereports/ ... 598063.php
Kick its ass, Shelly.

If every time I bring up a new incident and you resort to Chappaquiddick, then you've got nothing.
EddyP
{squat}

Postby tangirl » June 7th, 2012, 4:02 pm

Chrispy wrote:Tan, I have a 1993 Simplicity riding mower and I absolutely LOVE it. The problem is that it's leaking oil out of the engine and the dealer can't seem to find where it is. I'm tired of paying $500 per year in repairs.

The other big issue for me is that it takes me 3 hours to cut my lawn (2+ acres), and frankly I am tired of wasting 3 hours of my weekend cutting.

Might newer ones be quicker? I'd just hate to spend that kind of money (they're crazy expensive!) for a machine with no other purpose. At least with mine, I can lug **** all over the yard with the trailer - wow - that's saved me a ton of time and work already and I just got the cart on Easter!

tangirl
{squat}

Postby _Andy » June 7th, 2012, 4:03 pm

Chrispy could you make some large pine straw or mulch beds to cut down on the amount of turf?
_Andy
{squat}

Postby tangirl » June 7th, 2012, 4:04 pm

_Andy wrote:Chrispy could you make some large pine straw or mulch beds to cut down on the amount of turf?

Wildflower garden?

tangirl
{squat}

Postby _Andy » June 7th, 2012, 4:05 pm

I like straw with small to medium bushes. Not much work...
_Andy
{squat}

Postby cjdevito » June 7th, 2012, 4:07 pm

_Andy wrote:I like straw with small to medium bushes. Not much work...

8O
Leviticus 13:47-59
cjdevito
Site Admin

Postby Chrispy » June 7th, 2012, 4:15 pm

Lots of laughs in this thread. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tan, I will certainly bring a military buddy when I go.

Andy, I already have an assload of bushes and trees in the yard, which just seems to lengthen to cutting time. :?

Eddy, interesting article. I can't believe over 9,000 folks were hurt or injured by lawnmowers in 2010. 8O
Chrispy
Reefkeeper

Next

Return to The Sump