Help my mom out

The off-topic forum for members to chat and discuss non-reefkeeping topics. Be warned that this forum is not for the easily offended.

Moderators: asmith, Admins

Help my mom out

Postby Shade of Knucklehead » June 23rd, 2012, 8:57 pm

I need an email program for her that is easy to use and will weed out spam. She seems unable to deal with Thunderbird for some reason. She gets hundreds of spam and because she is so computer illiterate she seems to click on things in them thinking she will be opted out of spam and then she ends up with even more.

Any suggestions?

Thunderbird works for me, although for some reason it misses all the emails sent entirely in Russian...
I believe that religion is one of the most evil things on the planet, and mankind will never truly be at peace until we rise up and cast off the shackles created by our ancestors inability to cope with their superstitious fear.
Shade of Knucklehead
{squat}

Re: Help my mom out

Postby tangirl » June 23rd, 2012, 9:17 pm

I love my gmail. Had it for years and never got a bit of spam until I ran my craigslist ad. I still really don't though - I've probably gotten 5 spam messages in the last 3 months.
Chris don't care about your poop.

Angry people want you to see how powerful they are. Loving people want you to see how powerful you are. – Chief Red Eagle

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. - Gandalf
tangirl
{squat}

Postby JimM » June 23rd, 2012, 9:22 pm

Yeah I think Gmail is a good bet Bry.
JimM
Reefkeeper

Postby Anemone of the State » June 23rd, 2012, 10:56 pm

forward her email through gmail, and it will filter everything.
Their walls were made of cannon balls, their motto was ...
Anemone of the State
{squat}

Postby Shade of Knucklehead » June 24th, 2012, 1:54 am

Anemone of the State wrote:forward her email through gmail, and it will filter everything.

She has an email account on my website server, meaning it ends with flaniganbros.com. Do I need to forward that from the server end or can I set it up from her house after installing gmail?
I believe that religion is one of the most evil things on the planet, and mankind will never truly be at peace until we rise up and cast off the shackles created by our ancestors inability to cope with their superstitious fear.
Shade of Knucklehead
{squat}

Postby JimM » June 24th, 2012, 3:19 am

I just look at your site, and clicked on the tour link.
All I could think was - he got hurt there, and he got hurt there, and there, and there...
JimM
Reefkeeper

Postby Bucolic Buffalo » June 24th, 2012, 8:00 am

JimM wrote:I just look at your site, and clicked on the tour link.
All I could think was - he got hurt there, and he got hurt there, and there, and there...

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Radio KAOS "Billy come home."
Bucolic Buffalo
{squat}

Postby tangirl » June 24th, 2012, 8:15 am

Poor knucklehead. :lol:
Chris don't care about your poop.

Angry people want you to see how powerful they are. Loving people want you to see how powerful you are. – Chief Red Eagle

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. - Gandalf
tangirl
{squat}

Postby Shade of Knucklehead » June 24th, 2012, 10:21 am

:lol:

I need to do some updates on the site, I have a couple more boats to put up.
Shade of Knucklehead
{squat}

Postby Shade of Knucklehead » June 24th, 2012, 3:14 pm

Turns out she was using microsoft outlook, and I couldn't for the life of me get it to actually delete an email after it was marked as junk without going through at least 3 steps. Stupid. So I reinstalled Thunderbird, moved her addresses over, and checked it out by emailing the wife and having her email back. I am going to tell her to not delete anything for a couple days and then I am going over to make sure it works the way mine does. I think I have all the settings right.

If she can't handle that I will try the gmail thing, although I couldn't figure out how she is to email from her email address when everything is forwarded through gmail...
Shade of Knucklehead
{squat}

Postby MegaDeTH » June 24th, 2012, 5:15 pm

definitely move her onto gmail, you can forward from the old site, or setup gmail to pull in the email from the old site
Pain is fear leaving the body

Pics & vids
http://www.geekopolis.com
2006 KTM 200 XC
MegaDeTH
RDO Taskforce

Postby Shade of Knucklehead » June 24th, 2012, 6:03 pm

MegaDeTH wrote:definitely move her onto gmail, you can forward from the old site, or setup gmail to pull in the email from the old site

how about outgoing?
Shade of Knucklehead
{squat}

Postby MegaDeTH » June 24th, 2012, 6:11 pm

Shade of Knucklehead wrote:
MegaDeTH wrote:definitely move her onto gmail, you can forward from the old site, or setup gmail to pull in the email from the old site

how about outgoing?

http://support.google.com/mail/bin/answ ... swer=22370
Pain is fear leaving the body

Pics & vids
http://www.geekopolis.com
2006 KTM 200 XC
MegaDeTH
RDO Taskforce

Postby Shade of Knucklehead » June 24th, 2012, 8:25 pm

thanks
Shade of Knucklehead
{squat}

Return to The Sump