Doctors and elbows

The off-topic forum for members to chat and discuss non-reefkeeping topics. Be warned that this forum is not for the easily offended.

Moderators: asmith, Admins

Doctors and elbows

Postby Shade of Knucklehead » June 27th, 2012, 12:10 am

I have been having a lot of pain in my elbow for the last month or so. It hurts to straighten my arm out. It hurts most of the time even when I am not using my arm. I probably strained it or something, and the work I have been doing has been aggravating it.

The wife wants me to just show up at her work and have the PA inject it. I said no, because I want to know what is wrong with it before I go treating it with some injection.

Since she works at a surgery center connected to a doctors office that specializes on joints I usually just show up and see my doc on the day he is in. This time he told her to just have me make an appointment, but I am too busy to go through all that rigamarole.

So, should I just go have the PA look at it and inject it if he thinks it needs it?
I believe that religion is one of the most evil things on the planet, and mankind will never truly be at peace until we rise up and cast off the shackles created by our ancestors inability to cope with their superstitious fear.
Shade of Knucklehead
{squat}

Re: Doctors and elbows

Postby tangirl » June 27th, 2012, 6:16 am

Well, the PA won't give you an injection if he doesn't think it's appropriate. And who says you'll need to go make an appointment for an x-ray and then make an appointment to go back? My doc doesn't have x-ray equipment, but when he wants me to get an x-ray, I just walk to a different office in his building immediately and get the x-ray.

Make your appointment if you don't want to see the PA. I don't see rigamarole, I see excuses. If they specialize in joints, the PA will know about joints. When I needed the cortisone shot in my knee, the PA did it. And that was pretty awful.
Chris don't care about your poop.

Angry people want you to see how powerful they are. Loving people want you to see how powerful you are. – Chief Red Eagle

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. - Gandalf
tangirl
{squat}

Postby Louey » June 27th, 2012, 6:30 am

I get to see the doctor ASAP. Sometimes a shot followed up with some PT can make things heal up nicely in a short period of time. If you drag this out and it doesn't heal on its on, it may take a longer time to heal if you go later, or maybe it won't heal at all. Trust me. I banged my funnybone against a wall really hard a few years ago and didn't go 6 a doctor for 6 months. Then I started getting shots, started PT and so on. A year later I had surgery. It feels better now, but it's still not 100% and may never be. They say if I had gone to see the doctor early on that this injury might could have been treated and cured relatively quick. Damn.
Louey
DIY Forum Moderator

Postby The Escaped Ape » June 27th, 2012, 6:33 am

I don't see what the problem is with making an appointment.
Tom
The Escaped Ape
{squat}

Postby _Andy » June 27th, 2012, 8:17 am

Do you want the 'cure' or do you want the issue? Make the **** appointment and get better, Knucklehead.
_Andy
{squat}

Postby Shade of Knucklehead » June 27th, 2012, 5:21 pm

I don't have time to go to the doctors during working hours. And I am not dealing with 3 appointments. I will just wait till winter.
I believe that religion is one of the most evil things on the planet, and mankind will never truly be at peace until we rise up and cast off the shackles created by our ancestors inability to cope with their superstitious fear.
Shade of Knucklehead
{squat}

Postby _Andy » June 27th, 2012, 6:03 pm

If the check oil light was on would you wait 'till winter?
_Andy
{squat}

Postby Louey » June 27th, 2012, 6:23 pm

Why bother posting if you're not going to listen to suggestions....
Louey
DIY Forum Moderator

Postby _Andy » June 27th, 2012, 6:24 pm

Yeah! We know you're a Knucklehead so you don't have to keep proving it!
_Andy
{squat}

Postby Shade of Knucklehead » June 27th, 2012, 8:17 pm

_Andy wrote:If the check oil light was on would you wait 'till winter?

To quote Penny from Big Bang theory, I know the check engine light works, its the engine that's broke...
Shade of Knucklehead
{squat}

Postby Shade of Knucklehead » June 27th, 2012, 8:19 pm

Shade of Knucklehead wrote:
_Andy wrote:If the check oil light was on would you wait 'till winter?

To quote Penny from Big Bang theory, I know the check engine light works, its the engine that's broke...
Shade of Knucklehead
{squat}

Postby _Andy » June 27th, 2012, 8:25 pm

When your moobs are as nice as Penny's boobs you can get away with that type of thinking - until then check the oil and go to the doctor.
_Andy
{squat}

Postby JimM » June 27th, 2012, 8:37 pm

Letting an injury get worse/aggravated and become a problem that puts you out for weeks or maybe months instead of days doesn't make
much sense Bry. Try and see the big picture.
JimM
Reefkeeper

Postby Louey » June 27th, 2012, 9:29 pm

JimM wrote:Letting an injury get worse/aggravated and become a problem that puts you out for weeks or maybe months instead of days doesn't make
much sense Bry. Try and see the big picture.

That and like in my example, they never heal completely.

Knucklehead is earning his nickname... :P
Louey
DIY Forum Moderator

Postby Prawnman » June 28th, 2012, 6:28 am

Louey wrote:Why bother posting if you're not going to listen to suggestions....

Yah, the Chip roll is taken already by Chip!
Prawnman
{squat}

Postby The Escaped Ape » June 28th, 2012, 6:39 am

Shade of Knucklehead wrote:I don't have time to go to the doctors during working hours.

Yes you do. You're just refusing to make it. You think other people in busy jobs don't sometimes go to a doctor?
Tom
The Escaped Ape
{squat}

Postby Shade of Knucklehead » June 28th, 2012, 7:02 am

I really don't. I am under a deadline right now and unless its raining I can't take the time.

However, my wife is going to call me if the PA has time and is going to be there after I get done work. It might take a couple weeks.
Shade of Knucklehead
{squat}

Postby _Andy » June 28th, 2012, 7:50 am

If it was you're whacking arm I bet you'd make time.
_Andy
{squat}

Postby The Escaped Ape » June 28th, 2012, 8:13 am

Shade of Knucklehead wrote:I really don't. I am under a deadline right now and unless its raining I can't take the time.

However, my wife is going to call me if the PA has time and is going to be there after I get done work. It might take a couple weeks.

A couple of weeks is within the realms of reasonable, in both senses.
Tom
The Escaped Ape
{squat}

Postby JimM » June 28th, 2012, 10:36 am

Shade of Knucklehead wrote:I really don't. I am under a deadline right now and unless its raining I can't take the time.

What happens when you're under a deadline early next summer, but you can't work at all because your arm is too messed up?
Not very wise IMHO.
JimM
Reefkeeper

Next

Return to The Sump