New Toy(s)

The off-topic forum for members to chat and discuss non-reefkeeping topics. Be warned that this forum is not for the easily offended.

Moderators: asmith, Admins

Re: New Toy(s)

Postby Prawnman » July 2nd, 2012, 12:04 am

Which size do you have Eddy?
Prawnman
{squat}

Postby EddyP » July 2nd, 2012, 8:18 am

The smaller one. Back in the day when I got mine, there was only the small one.
Kick its ass, Shelly.

If every time I bring up a new incident and you resort to Chappaquiddick, then you've got nothing.
EddyP
{squat}

Postby sfsuphysics » July 2nd, 2012, 10:08 am

Watching my in-laws use tractors on the farm I never really thought of the overall use of them, but they have a rather old one, and these newer smaller ones have so many options and bells and accessories it's almost like you have a swiss army knife of power tools.
sfsuphysics
{squat}

Postby The Escaped Ape » July 2nd, 2012, 10:14 am

EddyP wrote:Have you read up on "the minion method" yet?

Does this involve getting someone else to do it for you? :D

Or do you mean mignon, as in filet? :P
Tom
The Escaped Ape
{squat}

Postby knowse » July 2nd, 2012, 10:31 am

Salty Dog wrote:
knowse wrote:Trust me, with as much land as you have, a tractor with a bucket is worth it's weight in gold.

Truer words have never been spoken...........SERIOUSLY!!! I can't believe I ever survived without one :D

I LOVE being smarter than ****! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Great! You got one that is big enough for a backhoe attachment! Woohoo!!!! And you got the mowing deck as well! Well done sir. :wink:

*edit...I wanted to add to what buffy said about wheel weights...If you remove the mowing deck and keep the tiller on, it makes a great counter weight for heavy jobs in the bucket.
Sally
knowse
{squat}

Postby Salty Dog » July 3rd, 2012, 1:06 am

EddyP wrote:IME it is pretty consistent from cook to cook.

I make sure I set it up the same way each time. Door on the leeward side. Then I have notes from prior cooks on vent opening percentages and times. They usually are a great start to get it going.

You may consider replacing the water pan with sand. I think the number one complaint is the water pan if you're doing something that takes a while like brisket and need to add more fuel. I found I didn't need to add fuel for ribs. Maybe for a butt in the winter. But usually always for brisket.

Have you read up on "the minion method" yet?

What does the sand do better??........heat retention I suppose but I like the water can only go so high in temp because I think that helps calming her down a bit when needed. I can always try the sand and see what happens. I like the moisture (steam) idea as well for tenderness but I realize it's effects are probably minimal.

This might sound lame dude but I invented the minion method cooking on my egg and didn't even realize it was a "thing". Common sense told me for a loooong burn you can't light the whole pit and expect it to last. From early on I started making a "doughnut" of lump and dumped about half a chimney of lit coals in the middle..........this gave me a nice long slow burn with smoke throughout as I scattered wood along the way as well.

Hard to believe it took a major discovery to figure that out :lol:

Anyways, congrats to Mr Minion for nailing it.

On the WSM I actually make more of a "Horseshoe" because the front bottom vent is the only place I get air from with the partyQ.

I need help with brisket dude.......think I will start another thread.
Salty Dog
{squat}

Previous

Return to The Sump