Birther movement of the left

The off-topic forum for members to chat and discuss non-reefkeeping topics. Be warned that this forum is not for the easily offended.

Moderators: asmith, Admins

Birther movement of the left

Postby Salty Dog » July 15th, 2012, 3:45 am

Stephanie Cutter, President Obama’s spokeswoman hit by Team Romney for making “out of control” charges that the GOP candidate is a liar, today stepped up her assault on Mitt Romney, charging that he is using a “pattern of secrecy” to hide critical details of his finances from American voters.

Far from backing off, Cutter doubled down in an email that raises questions about Romney’s offshore bank accounts and whether he has been honest about detailing his time at Bain Capital.

“The more everyone finds out about Mitt Romney's finances, the more questions they have. Perhaps that's why he's hiding as much as he thinks he can get away with,” she wrote.

On Thursday, she was rapped by the Romney campaign for suggesting that the candidate had violated federal law by not properly reporting the time he was in charge of Bain. He has said he left in 1999, but the Boston Globe reported on documents that showed he stayed until 2002. The impact: It was after 1999 that the Obama campaign claims Bain pushed investments to ship jobs overseas, making Obama’s case that Romney outsourced jobs, a key fight between the two campaigns. Romney rejects the charges.

Cutter’s email also included a graphic listing the “five facts about Romney’s secrecy.” The email is below:

Friend --

The more everyone finds out about Mitt Romney's finances, the more questions they have. Perhaps that's why he's hiding as much as he thinks he can get away with.

Today, The Boston Globe reported that Romney was still running Bain Capital two years after he claims he left the firm, directly contradicting his campaign's denial that he was involved in deals that led to layoffs, bankruptcies, and American jobs getting shipped overseas.

It's a pattern of secrecy, and this is just the latest example of him trying to hide the truth from voters. There are a number of issues in play right now -- and voters deserve answers:

1) Mitt Romney refuses to release multiple years of taxes, ignoring decades of precedent.

2) He won't disclose his "bundlers," the people raising millions for his campaign.

3) He is the sole owner of a questionable shell corporation in Bermuda.

4) Until recently, Romney kept cash in a Swiss bank account.

5) According to the Globe, he hasn't been honest about when he was running Bain Capital, even though legal documents refute his claims.

Please forward this email and share this with everyone you know who cares about the outcome of this election.

Everyone deserves the right to judge for themselves whether Romney's motivations, experience, and perspective are what they want in a president. But Mitt Romney doesn't want people to have the information they need to make those judgments.

More to come,

Stephanie

Stephanie Cutter
Deputy Campaign Manager
Obama for America

Clearly based in racism. I just knew a white man would get harassed like this if he dared try to be president. Would they demand a black guy show all his taxes or college transcripts?? Would they care how much money a black guy had in the bank or where he kept it?? It's already been established by numerous sources when Romney left Bain yet this moronic portion of the left keeps bringing it up in hopes to catch the eye of a casual and plant a seed of mistrust. Even if Romney produced a certified document proving they were wrong this nonsense would still persist.
Salty Dog
{squat}

Re: Birther movement of the left

Postby Bierboy » July 15th, 2012, 7:32 am

All Romney has to do his release his tax returns this issue would be done with. What's he trying to hide? :wink:
"Good people drink good beer." - Hunter S. Thompson.
Bierboy
{squat}

Postby Salty Dog » July 15th, 2012, 7:54 am

Run with it Bierboy :D
Salty Dog
{squat}

Postby Flabello Meandroid » July 15th, 2012, 7:54 am

Clearly based in racism. I just knew a white man would get harassed like this if he dared try to be president. Would they demand a black guy show all his taxes or college transcripts?? Would they care how much money a black guy had in the bank or where he kept it?? It's already been established by numerous sources when Romney left Bain yet this moronic portion of the left keeps bringing it up in hopes to catch the eye of a casual and plant a seed of mistrust. Even if Romney produced a certified document proving they were wrong this nonsense would still persist.

Annoying, isn't it? :lol:
Flabello Meandroid
{squat}

Postby Salty Dog » July 15th, 2012, 7:56 am

Flabello Meandroid wrote:

Annoying, isn't it? :lol:

Not really.
Salty Dog
{squat}

Postby Bierboy » July 15th, 2012, 8:09 am

Salty Dog wrote:Run with it Bierboy :D

In case you haven't noticed, the President is running with it. Romney's dad released his returns. It common practice to do so. Romney should release his. What's he hiding Salty?
Bierboy
{squat}

Postby wings » July 15th, 2012, 9:07 am

Why do presidents always have to release their tax returns? I'm not defending romney here, just want to know why.
-=A mile of road takes you Nowhere. A mile of runway takes you Anywhere=-
wings
{squat}

Postby Bierboy » July 15th, 2012, 9:15 am

wings wrote:Why do presidents always have to release their tax returns? I'm not defending romney here, just want to know why.
So, the public knows he is not hiding anything.

My guess is that Mittens had more to do with Bain than he is admitting and does not want to take the hit for outsourcing a lot of jobs. Sooner or later he is going to have to release them. The longer he waits the more time the President and independent groups have time to speculate what he is hiding and thereby frame the issue. As you know, the appearance is always worse than the "crime." It's all relevant because Mittens is making an issue of his management experience. He can't have it both ways.
Bierboy
{squat}

Postby wings » July 15th, 2012, 9:17 am

Bierboy wrote:
wings wrote:Why do presidents always have to release their tax returns? I'm not defending romney here, just want to know why.

So, not for anything why didn't BO release his birth certificate right away then?
wings
{squat}

Postby MegaDeTH » July 15th, 2012, 9:37 am

dear lord why wouldn't they release the returns, anyone that would vote for someone that didn't scares me
Pain is fear leaving the body

Pics & vids
http://www.geekopolis.com
2006 KTM 200 XC
MegaDeTH
RDO Taskforce

Postby JimM » July 15th, 2012, 12:07 pm

wings wrote:
Bierboy wrote:

So, not for anything why didn't BO release his birth certificate right away then?

He probably didn't want to dignify the agenda of those wackjobs by responding.
I wouldn't have responded either.
JimM
Reefkeeper

Postby wings » July 15th, 2012, 1:43 pm

JimM wrote:
wings wrote:
Bierboy wrote:

Kinda the way I feel like with the taxes. We know he's worth millions.. what's the big deal?
wings
{squat}

Postby _Andy » July 15th, 2012, 1:44 pm

I demand to see Obama's credit score!
_Andy
{squat}

Postby wings » July 15th, 2012, 1:46 pm

Dental records. We need to make sure he's not English! Sorry Tom! :P
wings
{squat}

Postby JimM » July 15th, 2012, 1:57 pm

wings wrote:
JimM wrote:
wings wrote:
Bierboy wrote:

Kinda the way I feel like with the taxes. We know he's worth millions.. what's the big deal?

I know what you're saying, but I would submit that asking for tax records, which is always done, is a bit different than claiming you're not an American citizen
and demanding a birth certificate.
JimM
Reefkeeper

Postby wings » July 15th, 2012, 1:59 pm

JimM wrote:
wings wrote:
JimM wrote:
wings wrote:
Bierboy wrote:

I know what you're saying, but I would submit that asking for tax records, which is always done, is a bit different than claiming you're not an American citizen

Why not put everybody's mind at ease? Instead he played this cat and mouse game, along with a phony social security number designated for Connecticut? (like really?)
wings
{squat}

Postby JimM » July 15th, 2012, 2:08 pm

wings wrote:
JimM wrote:
wings wrote:
JimM wrote:
wings wrote:
Bierboy wrote:

Why not put everybody's mind at ease? Instead he played this cat and mouse game, along with a phony social security number designated for Connecticut? (like really?)

Because it wasn't "everybody" it was a few wackjobs.
Imagine if you were president and a few loud idiots where yelling that you were from Tatooine, and were demanding proof that you were not.
Would 'jump to' as it were and provide them with a birth certificate? Probably not, because you'd look like a fool for even giving them the
time of day. Same thing with the birthers.
JimM
Reefkeeper

Postby Prawnman » July 15th, 2012, 2:17 pm

If Bush hid his, the Dems would be all over him for his BC. KInd of a double standard. I agree while in office its a bit late, but we're now in election season so here's his chance to step up and play the election game.

Just show your **** returns, BC, college transcripts, etc. Let the voting citizens decide if you are worthy...
Prawnman
{squat}

Postby _Andy » July 15th, 2012, 2:24 pm

_Andy
{squat}

Postby EddyP » July 15th, 2012, 2:27 pm

Bierboy wrote:All Romney has to do his release his tax returns this issue would be done with. What's he trying to hide? :wink:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm sure the irony is lost.
Kick its ass, Shelly.

If every time I bring up a new incident and you resort to Chappaquiddick, then you've got nothing.
EddyP
{squat}

Next

Return to The Sump