If you keep it you better breast feed it... NYC...

The off-topic forum for members to chat and discuss non-reefkeeping topics. Be warned that this forum is not for the easily offended.

Moderators: asmith, Admins

Re: If you keep it you better breast feed it... NYC...

Postby _Andy » July 29th, 2012, 5:03 pm

PaintGuru wrote:I could not believe how aggressive the hospital was about breast feeding after our 2nd child. My wife was livid (as was I) because as this is our second child, we had pretty much decided on what we were going to do (breastfeed during the day, bottle of formula before bed at night). They were on some sort of breast feeding crusade where nurses were pressured into not even giving the option that formula was available if the mother wanted it. For the most part, the nurses apologized and *snuck* us formula when we asked for it. I'm all for education (especially for a first child), but to act like a mom that gives their baby formula is wrong or a bad mom is insane. I do agree that this is VERY nanny state.

The boob is much easier for the nurse I reckon.
_Andy
{squat}

Postby Bierboy » July 29th, 2012, 5:41 pm

We were given formula at the hospital. Liam was a preemie so I guess that's why.
"Good people drink good beer." - Hunter S. Thompson.
Bierboy
{squat}

Postby Louey » July 29th, 2012, 6:35 pm

Bloomberg is the nipple czar.
Louey
DIY Forum Moderator

Postby minime » July 29th, 2012, 8:18 pm

Louey wrote:Bloomberg is the nipple czar.

There's gotta be a nipples/Big Gulp/supersize joke in here somewhere...
Brian

These are the demands and sayings of Minime.
minime
{squat}

Postby MickAv8r » July 29th, 2012, 8:18 pm

Louey wrote:Bloomberg is the nipple czar.

He's definitely a boob.
Yea, and God said to Abraham "You will kill your son Isaac." and Abraham said, "I can't hear you, you will have to speak into the microphone." And God said, "Ohh, I'm sorry, is this better? Check, check, check, check. Jerry, pull the high end out, I'm still getting some hiss back here."
MickAv8r
RDO Taskforce

Postby Flabello Meandroid » July 29th, 2012, 8:28 pm

I suppose people could purchase thir own formula, no?
Flabello Meandroid
{squat}

Postby _Andy » July 29th, 2012, 8:35 pm

:lol: You don't think the hospital gives it to them do you?
_Andy
{squat}

Postby Flabello Meandroid » July 29th, 2012, 8:40 pm

So what's the problem?
Flabello Meandroid
{squat}

Postby Salty Dog » July 29th, 2012, 11:38 pm

Mothers should breast feed as much as possible. It's rediculous how most women today are brainwashed into thinking formula is "just as good" for their infant.

People are **** up man..........they do everything they can to avoid giving babies human milk during their weaning period yet they flip them right over to cows milk for life afterwards.

Laziness and/or money are the driving forces behind nearly every aspect of our lives these days and this is nothing different.

Bloomberg is sealing his fate to go down in history as a D-bag like no other.
Salty Dog
{squat}

Postby Flabello Meandroid » July 30th, 2012, 12:04 am

Maybe so, but in this case its a bit hard to tell if he has anything specific to do with this (voluntary) initiative or if the media is blaming everything on him to make a story.
Flabello Meandroid
{squat}

Postby _Andy » July 30th, 2012, 8:49 am

There is voluntary and then there is voluntary. Either way I can't imagine a mayor getting involved with this.
_Andy
{squat}

Postby Flabello Meandroid » July 30th, 2012, 8:59 am

He probably isn't.
Flabello Meandroid
{squat}

Postby tangirl » July 30th, 2012, 9:04 am

Flabello Meandroid wrote:So what's the problem?

Obviously I've never had a baby, but I'm sure that the formula and goodie bags that are sent home with new parents are all free samples from the manufacturer. If people get that sample of Similac and the baby seems to like it, 99% chance the parents won't change formulas. It's all a great marketing ploy.

I'm guessing the intent of whatever is being proposed is to keep manufacturers from marketing to people at stressful/confusing times.
Chris don't care about your poop.

Angry people want you to see how powerful they are. Loving people want you to see how powerful you are. – Chief Red Eagle

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. - Gandalf
tangirl
{squat}

Postby Bierboy » July 30th, 2012, 9:22 am

Salty Dog wrote:Mothers should breast feed as much as possible. It's rediculous how most women today are brainwashed into thinking formula is "just as good" for their infant.

People are **** up man..........they do everything they can to avoid giving babies human milk during their weaning period yet they flip them right over to cows milk for life afterwards.

Laziness and/or money are the driving forces behind nearly every aspect of our lives these days and this is nothing different.

You are making huge assumptions. Not every woman can breast feed for any number of reasons.
"Good people drink good beer." - Hunter S. Thompson.
Bierboy
{squat}

Postby _Andy » July 30th, 2012, 10:09 am

tangirl wrote:

Obviously I've never had a baby, but I'm sure that the formula and goodie bags that are sent home with new parents are all free samples from the manufacturer. If people get that sample of Similac and the baby seems to like it, 99% chance the parents won't change formulas. It's all a great marketing ploy.

I'm guessing the intent of whatever is being proposed is to keep manufacturers from marketing to people at stressful/confusing times.

We switched brands and types many times - some are cheaper and work as well/better etc. We followed our doctor's recommendations and our own experiences.
_Andy
{squat}

Postby _Andy » July 30th, 2012, 10:17 am

FYI - the WHO initiative if interested.

http://www.babyfriendlyusa.org/eng/05.html
_Andy
{squat}

Postby knowse » July 30th, 2012, 10:20 am

_Andy wrote:
tangirl wrote:

We switched brands and types many times - some are cheaper and work as well/better etc. We followed our doctor's recommendations and our own experiences.

And then there are those kids that need to be on soy...What about them? The government needs to not interfer or they're likely to cause many deaths of infants who can't tolerate milk or those that are born premature and can't be taken out of incubators.

I've never met a woman who breast fed that also didn't supplement with formula from time to time.
Sally
knowse
{squat}

Postby _Andy » July 30th, 2012, 10:24 am

IMO breast feeding is fine bottle feeding is fine and any mix of the two is fine. People will follow their families and doctors advice first - this initiative just seems odd to me.
_Andy
{squat}

Postby Snailman » July 30th, 2012, 10:37 am

My wife breast fed for about 2 months but was not able to keep up with the baby. We eventually switched to forumula. It ran about $40-50 a week. We had to switch a couple of times and finally ended up on Gerber Good Start. I can only imagine how much gov't program spend on formula for low income families. Most people are capable of breast feeding. Many choose not to out of convenience. It is a lot easier to make a bottle of forumla in a couple minutes vs. letting the baby eat for 30 minutes.
Snailman
{squat}

Postby tangirl » July 30th, 2012, 10:41 am

_Andy wrote:
tangirl wrote:

Yeah, but a lot of people won't. You're smart. A lot of people aren't.
Chris don't care about your poop.

Angry people want you to see how powerful they are. Loving people want you to see how powerful you are. – Chief Red Eagle

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. - Gandalf
tangirl
{squat}

PreviousNext

Return to The Sump