If you keep it you better breast feed it... NYC...

The off-topic forum for members to chat and discuss non-reefkeeping topics. Be warned that this forum is not for the easily offended.

Moderators: asmith, Admins

If you keep it you better breast feed it... NYC...

Postby _Andy » July 29th, 2012, 11:20 am

The nanny state is going after moms.

Mayor Bloomberg is pushing hospitals to hide their baby formula behind locked doors so more new mothers will breast-feed.

Starting Sept. 3, the city will keep tabs on the number of bottles that participating hospitals stock and use — the most restrictive pro-breast-milk program in the nation.

'But it’s our job to educate them on the best option.'

- Allison Walsh, of Beth Israel Medical Center.

Under the city Health Department’s voluntary Latch On NYC initiative, 27 of the city’s 40 hospitals have also agreed to give up swag bags sporting formula-company logos, toss out formula-branded tchotchkes like lanyards and mugs, and document a medical reason for every bottle that a newborn receives.

While breast-feeding activists applaud the move, bottle-feeding moms are bristling at the latest lactation lecture.

“If they put pressure on me, I would get annoyed,” said Lynn Sidnam, a Staten Island mother of two formula-fed girls, ages 4 months and 9 years. “It’s for me to choose.”

Under Latch On NYC, new mothers who want formula won’t be denied it, but hospitals will keep infant formula in out-of-the-way secure storerooms or in locked boxes like those used to dispense and track medications.

With each bottle a mother requests and receives, she’ll also get a talking-to. Staffers will explain why she should offer the breast instead.

“It’s the patient’s choice,” said Allison Walsh, of Beth Israel Medical Center. “But it’s our job to educate them on the best option.”

Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/07 ... z221cmDZeo
_Andy
{squat}

Re: If you keep it you better breast feed it... NYC...

Postby EddyP » July 29th, 2012, 11:28 am

Seems like a god way to save some money. :twisted:
Kick its ass, Shelly.

If every time I bring up a new incident and you resort to Chappaquiddick, then you've got nothing.
EddyP
{squat}

Postby tangirl » July 29th, 2012, 11:31 am

Nah, I bet those are all free samples from the formula companies.

There was a law and order repeat on this am about something similar.
Chris don't care about your poop.

Angry people want you to see how powerful they are. Loving people want you to see how powerful you are. – Chief Red Eagle

All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us. - Gandalf
tangirl
{squat}

Postby Anemone of the State » July 29th, 2012, 11:35 am

Yeah, the fact that those infant formula companies are allowed to push their high fructose corn syrup milk substitutes on newborns is the crime here, not the hospitals encouraging breast feeding. Unless you have something like HIV, there is no valid reason not to breast feed.
Their walls were made of cannon balls, their motto was ...
Anemone of the State
{squat}

Postby Shade of Knucklehead » July 29th, 2012, 11:59 am

Anemone of the State wrote: Unless you have something like HIV, there is no valid reason not to breast feed.

Disagree
I believe that religion is one of the most evil things on the planet, and mankind will never truly be at peace until we rise up and cast off the shackles created by our ancestors inability to cope with their superstitious fear.
Shade of Knucklehead
{squat}

Postby MegaDeTH » July 29th, 2012, 12:14 pm

my wife says you all can go to hell
Pain is fear leaving the body

Pics & vids
http://www.geekopolis.com
2006 KTM 200 XC
MegaDeTH
RDO Taskforce

Postby _Andy » July 29th, 2012, 12:33 pm

Anemone of the State wrote:Yeah, the fact that those infant formula companies are allowed to push their high fructose corn syrup milk substitutes on newborns is the crime here, not the hospitals encouraging breast feeding. Unless you have something like HIV, there is no valid reason not to breast feed.

My children would have starved to death.
_Andy
{squat}

Postby knowse » July 29th, 2012, 12:57 pm

**** that whole
“It’s the patient’s choice,” said Allison Walsh, of Beth Israel Medical Center. “But it’s our job to educate them on the best option.”
****. I breast fed Nick, until he was two yrs old to the day and I would have cussed any person to hell and back had someone "talked" to be about using a bottle when I felt I needed to.
Sally
knowse
{squat}

Postby Flabello Meandroid » July 29th, 2012, 1:32 pm

Unless you stayed in the hospital for two years, I don't see how it would impact you. Most people stay what- a day or maybe two?
Flabello Meandroid
{squat}

Postby _Andy » July 29th, 2012, 1:33 pm

Agreed.

I don't see why Bloomberg cares.
_Andy
{squat}

Postby Anemone of the State » July 29th, 2012, 1:38 pm

The reason is that once you get the mom and baby on formula, there is no going back. Mothers often need to be shown how to breast feed, since our culture makes people hide it.
Anemone of the State
{squat}

Postby Anemone of the State » July 29th, 2012, 1:39 pm

_Andy wrote:Agreed.

Gives the kids a healthier head start and cuts down on illnesses in newborns (and possibly beyond). Therefore it is sound public health/fiscal policy.
Anemone of the State
{squat}

Postby Anemone of the State » July 29th, 2012, 1:40 pm

Shade of Knucklehead wrote:
Anemone of the State wrote: Unless you have something like HIV, there is no valid reason not to breast feed.

Disagree

I mean a newborn.
Anemone of the State
{squat}

Postby Flabello Meandroid » July 29th, 2012, 1:42 pm

What AotS said.
Flabello Meandroid
{squat}

Postby _Andy » July 29th, 2012, 1:54 pm

Anemone of the State wrote:

Gives the kids a healthier head start and cuts down on illnesses in newborns (and possibly beyond). Therefore it is sound public health/fiscal policy.

I've heard that. L had nothing to give them and my children have enjoyed great health thus far.
_Andy
{squat}

Postby _Andy » July 29th, 2012, 1:56 pm

Anyway - don't these moms have doctors? Bloomberg is jumping the gun a bit I believe he would be better suited to wait for all these decrees to come down from the fed and our new medical overlords...
_Andy
{squat}

Postby knowse » July 29th, 2012, 1:56 pm

Flabello Meandroid wrote:Unless you stayed in the hospital for two years, I don't see how it would impact you. Most people stay what- a day or maybe two?

Because I did stay in the hospital two days, due to not being in the hospital room until 4 am...had to stay a full 24 hrs... Some stupid rule they had back then....anyway, I breast fed and requested bottles for the kid. I swear if some douchebaggy social worker, nurse or the lactation expert had tried to bitch to me about the benefits of breast feeding or the negative effects of bottle feeding and I would have totally gone off on them. NOT THEIR **** BUSINESS.
Sally
knowse
{squat}

Postby minime » July 29th, 2012, 2:08 pm

When did NYC decide they were in a competition with San Francisco?
Brian

These are the demands and sayings of Minime.
minime
{squat}

Postby PaintGuru » July 29th, 2012, 4:44 pm

I could not believe how aggressive the hospital was about breast feeding after our 2nd child. My wife was livid (as was I) because as this is our second child, we had pretty much decided on what we were going to do (breastfeed during the day, bottle of formula before bed at night). They were on some sort of breast feeding crusade where nurses were pressured into not even giving the option that formula was available if the mother wanted it. For the most part, the nurses apologized and *snuck* us formula when we asked for it. I'm all for education (especially for a first child), but to act like a mom that gives their baby formula is wrong or a bad mom is insane. I do agree that this is VERY nanny state.
PaintGuru
{squat}

Postby PaintGuru » July 29th, 2012, 4:46 pm

knowse wrote:
Flabello Meandroid wrote:Unless you stayed in the hospital for two years, I don't see how it would impact you. Most people stay what- a day or maybe two?

Because I did stay in the hospital two days, due to not being in the hospital room until 4 am...had to stay a full 24 hrs... Some stupid rule they had back then....anyway, I breast fed and requested bottles for the kid. I swear if some douchebaggy social worker, nurse or the lactation expert had tried to bitch to me about the benefits of breast feeding or the negative effects of bottle feeding and I would have totally gone off on them. NOT THEIR **** BUSINESS.

Preach on sister. And the hospital thing is the same now.....they get 2 days in the hospital, based on the date when the child was born. So if the baby came out at 12:01AM, we get that day and the following day, checking out the 3rd day.
PaintGuru
{squat}

Next

Return to The Sump