Holanthias species that don't get very big

A forum for hobbyists for fancy rare and unique corals, fish, and other reef-dwelling speices.

Moderators: marillion, Unarce

Holanthias species that don't get very big

Postby Len » February 1st, 2006, 5:58 pm

Anyone know the smaller species of genus Holanthias? I really want some Holanthias but I'm afraid the bigger species will eat all my small fish ;)
Len
Site Admin

Postby Len » February 1st, 2006, 7:16 pm

Hmm, looking at fishbase, it looks like anyone I have a shot of getting gets too big except maybe Holanthias tapui. Oh well.
Len
Site Admin

Postby bgreene » February 1st, 2006, 7:39 pm

Hey Len,

I think that most of the Holanthias will get big. I have seen H. fuscippinus as small as 2 inches here in Hawaii and collected a 3 inch H. bourbonius that escaped from my collecting bucket while at 300' in Taiwan. We have two species here in Hawaii, H, fuscippinus and H. elizabethae, both of which get pretty big. I once saw an H. tapui for sale in a food fish market in Tahiti, but it was obviuosly big enough to eat. I think that Fishbase lists it as smaller only due to the limited number of scientific specimens.

-Brian[/i]
bgreene

Postby Len » February 1st, 2006, 7:57 pm

Ah, thanks for the info. I love Holanthias, but I do not want fish like C.earleis becoming pricey meals (and I mean much better then I've ever eaten in a week :P ). I think i'll have to find other suitable tankmates.

Just out of curiousity, but how big a tank do Holanthias require? Are they active or mostly sedentary like groupers?
Len
Site Admin

Re:

Postby Chilumba » July 15th, 2010, 9:14 pm

bgreene wrote:Hey Len,

I think that most of the Holanthias will get big. I have seen H. fuscippinus as small as 2 inches here in Hawaii and collected a 3 inch H. bourbonius that escaped from my collecting bucket while at 300' in Taiwan. We have two species here in Hawaii, H, fuscippinus and H. elizabethae, both of which get pretty big. I once saw an H. tapui for sale in a food fish market in Tahiti, but it was obviuosly big enough to eat. I think that Fishbase lists it as smaller only due to the limited number of scientific specimens.

-Brian[/i]

What hawaiian islands and depths does H. elizabethae?

Thank You
Chilumba

Return to The Collector's Forum