cutting zoanthids in half

A forum to discuss and learn about propagating corals and other invertebrates as well as captive breeding of marine fish.

Moderator: Admins

cutting zoanthids in half

Postby BartMi3 » April 13th, 2007, 3:01 pm

Hi everyone. :)
Question, if I cut a zoo in half with a razor, in the tank, not even removing it, would would it grow into two?
Is there any reason why this might be a bad idea?
thanks.
BartMi3

Re: cutting zoanthids in half

Postby cvp7900 » April 13th, 2007, 3:29 pm

BartMi3 wrote:Hi everyone. :)
Question, if I cut a zoo in half with a razor, in the tank, not even removing it, would would it grow into two?
Is there any reason why this might be a bad idea?
thanks.

Did you use gloves?
Crissy

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." Abraham Joshua Heschel
cvp7900
{squat}

Postby BartMi3 » April 13th, 2007, 3:38 pm

I haven’t done anything yet, I have a few attached to a large rock, I don't want to remove them.
If I just reach in and slice one straight down the middle would it grow into 2 or would the toxins that it might put off be too risky?
thanks.
BartMi3

Postby cvp7900 » April 13th, 2007, 4:54 pm

BartMi3 wrote:I haven’t done anything yet, I have a few attached to a large rock, I don't want to remove them.
If I just reach in and slice one straight down the middle would it grow into 2 or would the toxins that it might put off be too risky?
thanks.

Since you have a few why don't you break the rock and superglue it somewhere else instead of cutting into the zoo. They replicate pretty fast and you shouldn't need to frag on in half. I don't know if it will make two though.

The toxin are pretty bad though.
Crissy

"When I was young, I used to admire intelligent people; as I grow older, I admire kind people." Abraham Joshua Heschel
cvp7900
{squat}

Postby MICHOE » April 14th, 2007, 4:06 pm

hi,bartmi3 I practice this propagating methode ,to palytoas and it's advantage is that the little forming clones seems to have more vigurose growing potencials ,like the adults .I cut verticaly in 4 ,and in 4-5 weeks will forms their heads .put in a plate vessel on a stone substrate ,cowered with glas ,let some hole ,submersed on thank bottom.
Just alive bacteria is the good friend...
MICHOE

Postby BartMi3 » April 18th, 2007, 12:56 pm

Cool, thanks for the replies, I'll do some more research before I start slashing. :)
BartMi3

Postby Len » April 19th, 2007, 12:56 pm

Any reason to slash at all? ;) Just put some rubble rock around the colony, and in no time, you'll have many "frag rocks" to trade or sell. Zoas are weeds, albeit very pretty weeds :)
Len
Site Admin

Postby jimbo327 » May 4th, 2007, 3:16 am

Hey Len,

How's the SPS dedicated tank coming along? This is Jimmy who tried to give you my ricordia...hehe. I started a nano now. And I have some zoo's and I won't try to slash them. Just let them grow, under the right condition, they grow pretty fast.
jimbo327

Postby regalreefin » August 12th, 2007, 12:18 am

Hey check out www.club-zoa.com for zoanthid info. :D
regalreefin

Return to Propagation & Captive Breeding