brine?

A forum to discuss and learn about propagating corals and other invertebrates as well as captive breeding of marine fish.

Moderator: Admins

brine?

Postby fatlip574 » August 19th, 2007, 5:27 pm

Where and what brand of brine can i buy that is higher quality than the normal sallys mix thats at the local fish store? Or is sallys ok? I want to feed Banggai fry, and my baby shimp.
thanks,
cc
fatlip574

Postby SeahorseWhisperer_ » August 19th, 2007, 6:13 pm

Do you mean brine shrimp? As in eggs? Cysts? I use Brine Shrimp Direct. Don't get the decapsulated, they don't hatch.
SeahorseWhisperer_
{squat}

Postby fatlip574 » August 19th, 2007, 7:57 pm

yes brine shrimp, eggs. In have read in a few places that say there are high quality and low quality brine shrimp.
fatlip574

Postby SeahorseWhisperer_ » August 19th, 2007, 8:15 pm

I like the Great Salt Lake artemia best, after seeing it up close and personal. The cysts are larger than the San Francisco bay version, the artemia themselves are huge and multicolored.

Just my opinion, being a local Great Salt Lake artemia grower. You outta see the food these shrimp feast on!

I also think the quality, at least the hatch rate, depends on the age of the cyst. If you order now, you will get this springs cysts. If you wait until mid winter, you will get this seasons. But, they have a shelve life of a few years, so you should be fine ordering now. I would order the large can, because with S&H the price will be similar tot he smaller portion, and you can feed the leftovers to your corals.
SeahorseWhisperer_
{squat}

Return to Propagation & Captive Breeding