My First Batch

The off-topic forum for members to chat and discuss non-reefkeeping topics. Be warned that this forum is not for the easily offended.

Moderators: asmith, Admins

My First Batch

Postby SpaceAce » January 9th, 2012, 8:40 am

My friend got me a one gallon brew kit from http://brooklynbrewshop.com for Christmas and he helped me get my fist batch going yesterday. It's a maple porter and it's humming along right now.

the first pic is right after we finished the batch. The second is the brew rolling along this morning.

I love the fact that this is a one gallon kit. I have no desire to do five gallon batches. If this works out I'll buy another kit or parts to get two going at once. :D
Attachments
brew-1.jpg
brew-1.jpg (72.32 KiB) Viewed 510 times
Does this hurt your eyes?Well does it? Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.
SpaceAce
{squat}

Re: My First Batch

Postby Louey » January 9th, 2012, 8:54 am

Cool.

I like the idea of homebrewing, but I don't trust myself to not become a complete alcoholic. I can see myself trying to drink it before it goes bad. 8)
Louey
DIY Forum Moderator

Postby Bierboy » January 9th, 2012, 9:06 am

You can make your own kits. Just buy a bag of dry malt extract and some hop pellets then scale down the recipe or use an online tool like www.beertools.com . You only need 1lb of dried mat extract and about 1/4oz of hops for a 1 gallon batch. As for yeast, you can use the yeast cake from the previous batch. Just dump the new wort on top.
"Good people drink good beer." - Hunter S. Thompson.
Bierboy
{squat}

Postby SpaceAce » January 9th, 2012, 9:11 am

Dan this kit was all grain which is kind of cool. The only part my friend said that would be difficult to find is the cap in the picture. It has a hole for the tube and at screws onto the one gallon jug.
Does this hurt your eyes?Well does it? Blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah, blah.
SpaceAce
{squat}

Postby Bierboy » January 9th, 2012, 9:41 am

Then use beertools and buy the needed grains at you local homebrew store and grind the grains there. There are a zillion recipes online that you can scale down.

The cap is easy to find. Your local homebrew shop should have one that fits the jug. Remove the cap, measure the size of your blow off tube, drill hole in cap to it.
Bierboy
{squat}

Postby SpaceAce » January 9th, 2012, 9:52 am

Great idea. Time to hit the brew shop. :D
SpaceAce
{squat}

Postby Bierboy » January 9th, 2012, 9:57 am

Try to get a blowof tube and grommet so the seal between the cap and hole will be better. You can buy a grommet and airlock instead of a blow off tube. A little easier and it seals better. An airlock cost around $1 and a grommet about 10 cents.
Bierboy
{squat}

Postby SpaceAce » January 10th, 2012, 10:16 am

What can I use to sanitize the airlock I have without have to hit a specialty store? I've been reading but like any hobby there are a million opinions. I'm hitting the brew store Sunday and will supply up then. :)
SpaceAce
{squat}

Postby Bierboy » January 10th, 2012, 10:37 am

Bleach water. You only need a.concentration of 50 parts per million. Make sure you rinse really well.
Bierboy
{squat}

Postby SpaceAce » January 10th, 2012, 10:38 am

Ok thanks.

I have without have to hit a specialty store?

What?
SpaceAce
{squat}

Postby SpaceAce » January 10th, 2012, 10:46 am

1 teaspoon per gallon? How long in the solution?
SpaceAce
{squat}

Postby Bierboy » January 10th, 2012, 11:09 am

A few seconds, but I always do several minutes to be safe.
Bierboy
{squat}

Postby Bingo » January 11th, 2012, 9:14 am

WHOO HOOTERS! Another homebrewer!

Don't say you won't do a 5 gallon batch just yet. Just to let you know, between your 1 gallon batch and a 5 gallon batch it's the SAME amount of work. You just end up with 5x more beer.

Until you bottle it, that is. Your batch should be about 10-12 bottles. Cleaning, de-labeling, sanitizing, filling, capping 10 bottles is no problem. doing it with 50 for a full batch is a lot of work.

Also, before you go to the homebrew store, find a recipe you want to make and print out the grain bill. Once you see how cheap grain is, you'll think twice about doing small batches. . . Those BK brewkits are pretty expensive everywhere I've seen them ($40). Figure most grains at $2/pound (average) and you can get enough grains for a lot of batches for the same $.

Homebrew store advice: ( I"ll ask online about the better stores around your way, so you don't end up going to the 'bad' one.)

Get some Starsan for your sanitizer, it's the best thing out there. Mix it up with a gallon of RO/DI or buy a gallon of distilled water, and that gallon of sanitizer will last you months and months. It's re-usable. DO NOT get the undiluted Starsan on anything, like a counter top, it's a pretty strong acid. It's not strong enough to burn your skin but there's lots of guys with starsan stains on their new counter tops. . . Put some of the mixed Starsan in a spray bottle. Easy sanitation of airlocks, hydrometers, and other small things that don't need a full dunk. Don't fear the foam- you'll know what that means after you use it once.

Your metal caps will start to rust after a while. Spend $1 and get a silicone stopper (with a hole) that fits your bottle. You can also use a piece of sanitized aluminum foil in a pinch. As long as CO2 can get out and dirt/dust can't get in, you're set.

For your next batch, you don't need to buy a new bottle. Any 1 gallon bottle/jug will work. Pickle jars/bottles are the exception though.

Either buy the book or read the older version on the website www.howtobrew.com One of the best resources out there.

Let us know if you have any questions!
B
Thales wrote:Holy crap! It seems it would be easy to stop them, what with no legs.
Aragorn wrote:That's a good idea cuz without thumbs, the deer can't handle a rapier if their lives depended on it.
tangirl wrote:She can prepare testicles her way, I'll prepare them my way.
Checker wrote:Yah, probably best to walk quietly backwards out of this thread
Bingo
Reefkeeper

Postby Bingo » January 11th, 2012, 9:16 am

Oh, and Bleach sanitizer isn't good for stainless. Be careful if you're soaking stuff for a while.
Thales wrote:Holy crap! It seems it would be easy to stop them, what with no legs.
Aragorn wrote:That's a good idea cuz without thumbs, the deer can't handle a rapier if their lives depended on it.
tangirl wrote:She can prepare testicles her way, I'll prepare them my way.
Checker wrote:Yah, probably best to walk quietly backwards out of this thread
Bingo
Reefkeeper

Postby SpaceAce » January 11th, 2012, 9:19 am

Thanks for al the info, Bingo!!! :D

I have a feeing this bug will grow into a 5 gallon batch soon. I figure I'll get my feet wet and learn the basics dealing with small batches until I feel confident and then it's off to the races. :)

Here's the store I've been to with my friend. http://www.beer-wine.com
SpaceAce
{squat}

Postby Bierboy » January 11th, 2012, 9:28 am

You can also use iodophor as a sanitizer.
Bierboy
{squat}

Postby SpaceAce » February 3rd, 2012, 2:31 pm

Well I cracked my test beer and DAMN IT'S GOOD!

This Sunday I bring it over a friend's house for the game. So frigg'n tasty!!!!
SpaceAce
{squat}

Postby Bierboy » February 3rd, 2012, 2:46 pm

Excellent!
Bierboy
{squat}

Postby SpaceAce » February 3rd, 2012, 2:57 pm

Bierboy wrote:Excellent!

Dude, it's easy to forget what fresh beer tastes like so when i took that first sip I almost passed out with beer goodness. It has a perfect porter taste and feel. Very chocolaty flavor. The maple flavor is just in the background but not enough to be overbearing.
SpaceAce
{squat}

Postby Magilla Gorilla » February 3rd, 2012, 3:24 pm

So all in all, Ace; how difficult is the brewing?
What's the PITA factor?

I think I'd like to try.
Societies get what they celebrate.
-Dean Kamen
Nationalism is the succubus of tyranny.
How long? Not long. 'Cause what you reap... is what you sew.
-RATM
Magilla Gorilla
{squat}

Next

Return to The Sump