An Economic Prediction

The off-topic forum for members to chat and discuss non-reefkeeping topics. Be warned that this forum is not for the easily offended.

Moderators: asmith, Admins

Re: An Economic Prediction

Postby GratefulDiver » December 19th, 2017, 2:56 pm

No silver spoon here. Though that is a large part of what I'm working towards for my kids.

I didn't go to college (well, I didn't STAY, I could see it was not a wise investment, twice!) but I have been schooled on just how ridiculously expensive it has become and how the economy of this country has changed.

You feel it fair to steal my work at the point of a hired man's gun not once but twice but don't feel slavery is acceptable?

Its interesting what some justify....
GratefulDiver
{squat}

Postby hank.stamper » December 19th, 2017, 4:05 pm

GratefulDiver wrote:You feel it fair to steal my work at the point of a hired man's gun not once but twice but don't feel slavery is acceptable?

Twice? You talk in riddles and it is very hard to follow your thinking. I'm guessing you mean that because the parents were taxed, the income of the child's inheritance should be exempt. If that's what you meant, I disagree. IMO, the child is receiving the income for the first time. I don't see how that should any different from the money a wage earner gets in a paycheck, tax-wise.

And that "point of a hired man's gun" and "slavery" is just ridiculous. You live in a country, it is infantile to expect is all to be free. It's like saying the checkout lady at the supermarket is robbing you. If you don't like the bill, don't go to the market. Any other decent country is going to give you a bill, too, BTW. Despite what our president has said we are not even near the highest taxed nation in the world.

Beyond that, you are pretty much like any other flat tax advocate I've ever argued with. You want to torture the definition of income just as much as any politician.
hank.stamper
{squat}

Postby hank.stamper » December 20th, 2017, 1:08 pm

GratefulDiver wrote:
hank.stamper wrote:I don't think capital gains and inherited wealth should be excluded.

As I learn more about the topic, the more concerned I get over just how many people are truly ignorant to agriculture, let alone agronomics and how all the pieces come together...

BTW, if it is family farms you are referring to, there are no examples of families losing the farm over a tax bill under the current law. That is a fiction that those advocating the complete repeal of the estate tax like to imagine.

Currently about 5 million for individuals and 10 million for couples is exempt. The new bill doubles that amount. That's unconscionable given the hole this abortion of a bill is going to blow in the budget.
hank.stamper
{squat}

Previous

Return to The Sump