Dictionaries

The off-topic forum for members to chat and discuss non-reefkeeping topics. Be warned that this forum is not for the easily offended.

Moderators: asmith, Admins

Dictionaries

Postby hank.stamper » December 16th, 2017, 2:13 pm

Always been fascinated by how good or bad they can be.

For my part I wouldn't use anything but Miriam/Webster. Anybody else have a preference or is it just me?
hank.stamper
{squat}

Re: Dictionaries

Postby bigchuck33 » December 16th, 2017, 7:06 pm

We get it. The Sump is dead. You don't have to rub it in.
bigchuck33
{squat}

Postby Doug1 » December 17th, 2017, 1:53 am

WOW :(
Bring back the Lepus
Doug1
{squat}

Postby hank.stamper » December 19th, 2017, 7:30 pm

bigchuck33 wrote:We get it. The Sump is dead. You don't have to rub it in.

You give me too much credit Big Chuck. I really thought dictionaries were a cool topic. Just goes to show what a geek I am.

Do you know that the American Heritage Dictionary was published in response to what conservatives thought was a liberal bias in the prevailing dictionaries? It is a truly an execrable (there's a good word) dictionary.
hank.stamper
{squat}

Postby bigchuck33 » December 19th, 2017, 10:29 pm

Was it social conservatism or just traditionalism vs permissiveness to colloquialism?

I think etymology can be interesting. Did you know "goodbye" evolved from "God be with ye." It's the same in Spanish: "adios" from "Vaya con Dios." Adieu in Old French. Arabic: Allah ma'aak (God be with you). All the same sentiment.

I like "pandemonium", the capital of hell, from Paradise Lost: Pan (all) · demon · ium (place).
bigchuck33
{squat}

Postby hank.stamper » December 20th, 2017, 1:01 pm

bigchuck33 wrote:Was it social conservatism or just traditionalism vs permissiveness to colloquialism?

Good question. I always assumed is was the straight political power of words.

Etymology is interesting to me, too. There is a school of philosophy that holds that truth remains illusive because of the imprecision of words. I suspect any hope of getting to the heart of the matter relies on whatever degree of precision we can manage.
hank.stamper
{squat}

Postby PitPat » December 21st, 2017, 11:29 am

My work requires we use Merriam Webster as our official dictionary, so that's like a preference I suppose.
This post was made by PitPat who is currently on your ignore list. Display this post.
PitPat
{squat}

Postby seven ephors » December 21st, 2017, 6:27 pm

For some reason, the dictionary I used the most is the American Heritage Dict., but it is a 1982 edition, with the school library stamp on the inside cover :oops: I don't know how it ended up in my hand.

I enjoy etymology section of AHD a lot, and often times got into a rabbit hole of sort. That was back in the days of Internet, but I still doing that from time to time.

The dictionary that I used when it come to difficult word is the Oxford English Dictionary. I don't think there is any better authority on the language than OED other than exception of my own self...
bye -ck-

[Kung Fu Panda 3] Li: She was the total package: smart, beautiful, tremendous appetite
seven ephors
DIY Forum Moderator

Postby hank.stamper » December 23rd, 2017, 1:01 pm

Good to hear from you, Pitpat. Your work is wise, IMO. It is a really good dictionary.

Funny, since I posted this I have been looking for the examples I have seen in the past of how much better MW is than the AH. I can't recall the words I have seen in the past that led me to this conclusion. Still looking...

7E - isn't the OED just a context dictionary? No definitions but just examples of how the word has been used?

Where did you go to school that they had the AH?
hank.stamper
{squat}

Postby Anemone of the State » December 30th, 2017, 1:50 am

OED or Funk & Wagnalls
Their walls were made of cannon balls, their motto was ...
Anemone of the State
{squat}

Postby seven ephors » January 4th, 2018, 3:29 am

hank: OED has definitions as well as examples of how the word is used. You can really get lost in it if you browse around. I do not remember the name of the school any more, but it is in Washington DC.
bye -ck-

[Kung Fu Panda 3] Li: She was the total package: smart, beautiful, tremendous appetite
seven ephors
DIY Forum Moderator

Return to The Sump