My last thoughts shouldn't be of _Andy!

The off-topic forum for members to chat and discuss non-reefkeeping topics. Be warned that this forum is not for the easily offended.

Moderators: asmith, Admins

My last thoughts shouldn't be of _Andy!

Postby Podman » July 17th, 2018, 5:22 pm

Last week I was driving in to work feeling fine when I experienced some blurring in my vision. I have floaters in my eyes like a mofo and they are their worst in horizontal lighting conditions so I assumed it was the sunrise coming in from my side view mirror but the blurriness seemed to be growing instead of sweeping through my visual field as per the norm.

I started to become really concerned when I realized it didn't matter which eye I held open, the blurriness remained in the bottom left of my vision.
It was becoming an issue at 65mph on a crowded highway.

My mind quickly went to _Andy's description of his pinhole vision during his stroke and I felt totally helpless. Neither of my grandfathers lived to see 50, one stroked out and the other had a coronary so i am always waiting for that day, you know.

Being the stubborn idiot that I am, I completed the last mile or so of my commute and sat in the car cursing and wondering what to do. I felt fine and slowly my vision returned enough so that I could make my way onsite. I experienced a cool technicolor show along the way.. It was like a tear in the screen of my vision.. little pixels of rainbow colors ran along craggy lines and an effect like light bending and draining through the rainbow cracks.

I made it to my desk and laid out my crew and explained that I had to leave.. my vision was completely restored but I made a trip to a doc anyway.. he diagnosed it as an Ocular Migraine.
I had never heard of them before but it was relatively painless.
Podman
{squat}

Re: My last thoughts shouldn't be of _Andy!

Postby bigchuck33 » July 17th, 2018, 5:47 pm

Oh yeah, that sounds real benign. :D
If you just saw a general physician, you might want to get a second opinion. See an ophthalmologist.
bigchuck33
{squat}

Postby Podman » July 17th, 2018, 6:10 pm

The youtube link function doesn't seem to work for vids here anymore but here is the link where someone tried to show the visuals of a typical ocular migraine which is pretty close to what I experienced on my walk.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fo139jYAFzA
Podman
{squat}

Postby _Andy » July 17th, 2018, 9:22 pm

I’m glad you are OK. A I read your post I was thinking migraine. Lark gets the halo to.

Benefit of mild strokes - tv shows from ten years ago are all new again!
_Andy
{squat}

Postby seven ephors » July 18th, 2018, 4:11 pm

I don't need stroke to forget everything I did 10 yrs ago.

Who is this _Andy?!?!
bye -ck-

[Kung Fu Panda 3] Li: She was the total package: smart, beautiful, tremendous appetite
seven ephors
DIY Forum Moderator

Postby Flabello Meandroid » July 25th, 2018, 1:33 am

I get an ocular migraine every couple years since the 90s. Definitely freaked me out the first time. Never been to a doctor for it.
Flabello Meandroid
{squat}

Return to The Sump