How large do Ocellaris need to be to breed?

A forum to discuss and learn about propagating corals and other invertebrates as well as captive breeding of marine fish.

Moderator: Admins

How large do Ocellaris need to be to breed?

Postby JohnHenry » June 28th, 2006, 11:08 pm

I've just set up a 30g in hopes of breeding (for fun) these clownfish. One is about 2 inches long and the other is about 1.25 inches.

Are they large enough to start breeding now, or should I work on fattening them up?

Also, any other pointers on getting them to start making the bacon? I've heard of The Book (by Wilkerson?), but it is not available here. Any tips or advice regarding tank setup, parent nutrition, or anything else are greatly appreciated?

Thanks!
'Don't tread on me,'
said the Snake.
JohnHenry
{squat}

Postby vaporize » November 25th, 2006, 6:35 am

Ocellaris reach mature size at as early as half a year.

Whether they breed after they paired up is always a mystery. A breeder friend of mine had 37 pairs of clownfish and only 18 are actually laying eggs.

Male ocellaris are mature as little as 1-1.5" and female is 2.5-3.5".

Have fun breeding :lol:
vaporize
Reefkeeper

Postby acroman » December 1st, 2006, 10:00 am

if you can fatten them up, it will encourage them to breed, as they will have more energy to divert to reproduction.
If it lives in water...we can make more!
acroman
Reefkeeper

Postby Muad'dib » December 29th, 2006, 4:57 pm

Warm water, good food (variety) stable night an day and keep your water params really stable.

Also, they have to have paired. Have yours gone through the process of pairing?
There are only two things I can't fix: The crack of dawn and a broken heart, and I am workin' on a broken heart."- Scott

"One word frees us of all the weight and pain of life: That word is love." - Sophocles
Muad'dib
{squat}

Return to Propagation & Captive Breeding